Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Awd firebird!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awd firebird!

Hi you guys, I am not so much into the racing scene, but I do enjoy a v8 motor with lots of power. well I was wondering, is it possible transforming a RWD firebird AWD? because I know the Chrysler 300C some come AWD. If its possible how can I achieve this? I know it has to do with the transmission, drive shaft, differentials, but can it be done on a firebird with at least 7G's
Old 11-23-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Just take a firebird body and mount it on a chevy 4x4 with 44" boggers and your good to go
Old 11-24-2010, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Old 11-24-2010, 02:31 AM
12 Second Club

i really dont think there is enough room in the front to drive the front wheels.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that somebody built an AWD fourth gen Camaro, I'll have to look for it.

If you really wanted to do this you will probably have to use an automatic transmission, unless you want to convert the T-56's tail-housing to mount up a transfer case. Then you would need to decided which AWD setup would be best for you; a setup from a Holden Monaro Coupe 4 or the setup from a V8 Trailblazer. Then, you would have to go through the nightmare of making it all fit.

Holden Monaro Coupe 4 Setup

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the Trailblazer's AWD setup on my work computer. I'll post up the Trailblazer's setup when I'm home.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:44 AM
10 Second Club

lol, why................ and 7 g's? no way.......
Old 11-24-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

^1. Better launch on the street or imperfect conditions.
2. Better handling on tight, low-speed curves.
3. Better driving characteristics on wet or imperfect roads.
4. The ability of running a narrower and/or less aggressive compound tire without sacrificing performance.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

All offset by the added weight.
1. Drag radials...or and imperfect conditions...? Shouldn't be racing.
2. They handle fine as is
3. Drive with common sense
4. You don't have to have a huge tire to get traction.

Now those are very generalized statements, but the added weight and cost of this dosnt offset the benefits. Don't throw out the Awsome DD ability...because the downtime while doing this will more then force the purchase of another vehicle

Note: forgot op said he wasn't into racing...so not all apply

Last edited by SuperSlow02; 11-24-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Or maybe he wants to do it for the fun factor of doing it, and having something unique in the end?
Old 11-24-2010, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

This will be an exteme waste of money and time. A properly set up RWD car could do everything an awd do, except rally....
Old 11-24-2010, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

AWD dosn't help when the front tires are in the air!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cape T/A
AWD dosn't help when the front tires are in the air!

The front tires would be pulling the air like a fan lol

In for the pics of the 4th Gen Camaro AWD setup.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 PM
9 Second Club

this would be interesting, but I would want it with a T56, not auto
Old 11-26-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

go for it! and there are way more advantages than just rallying... yes itll add weight but doent mean thatll slow it down, it will transfer to ground more efficiently, with right mods as well. plus theres a lot of room in the nose, im sure its possible!
Old 11-26-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

AWD cars DO NOT handle better. Go drive an STI or an EVO. They handle nice but their driving dynamics are far different than a RWD platform. Also if AWD were that much better why havent we seen AWD formula1 cars? Then I could go on all day why an AWD car loses a higher % of engine power on its way to the wheels.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

^power-lose is right but it will throw the weight characteristics of the car of big time. Adding a 408 iron block will add 80lbs to the front end which you can tell a big difference by doing that. Imagine adding about another 300-400lbs (minimal) to the car with a majority of that weight to the front end of the vehicle. The car will become so front heavy it would be rediculous. It would handle worse in my mind even with the AWD. Its a nice theory to do and if it would be possible to do it without adding a ton of weight I would be more than willing to do it myself. If you want something AWD, buy something that is already engineered with it>>> TBSS, STi, Evo, Typhoon/Cyclone (if you can find one), or you could just pull the trigger on a Lambo lol.

Not trying to shoot you down OP, but its just my .02 but if you can do it and its something you want go for it. In all honesty its your vehicle fella.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

I considered doing the coupe 4 setup to my gto but realistically would take more than 10k just to see the parts. Hell the oem coupe 4 body kit alone is over 4k without painting.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Staging Lane

and the curb weight from a normal gto to the coupe 4 is only 100lbs.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
All offset by the added weight.
1. Drag radials...or and imperfect conditions...? Shouldn't be racing.
2. They handle fine as is
3. Drive with common sense
4. You don't have to have a huge tire to get traction.

Now those are very generalized statements...
1. The street isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, I've even heard about some shotty tracks.
2. Room for improvement? I think so.
3. Common sense has nothing to do with the car, that's a driver characteristic. Either way an AWD car will handle better on wet or imperfect roads.
4. No you don't, but like I said, it's either a wide tire or an aggressive compound. If you pick the aggressive compound expect a significantly shorter tire life.

Those are very generalized counter-arguments.

Originally Posted by Tiago
this would be interesting, but I would want it with a T56, not auto
IIRC there are 3 T-56s with transfercases behind them. Definitely not your run-of-the-mill setup. However, that would be how I would want to roll!

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
AWD cars DO NOT handle better. Go drive an STI or an EVO. They handle nice but their driving dynamics are far different than a RWD platform. Also if AWD were that much better why havent we seen AWD formula1 cars? Then I could go on all day why an AWD car loses a higher % of engine power on its way to the wheels.
The STI and EVO handle beautifully for what they are on the outside; a couple of sedans. Comparing a F1 car to a production car is really apples and oranges. Your last point about how an AWD car loses a higher % of engine power is, in fact, true. However, if there were no advantages to AWD there would be no place in the market for it among street cars.

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
...it will throw the weight characteristics of the car of big time. Adding a 408 iron block will add 80lbs to the front end which you can tell a big difference by doing that. Imagine adding about another 300-400lbs (minimal) to the car with a majority of that weight to the front end of the vehicle. The car will become so front heavy it would be rediculous.
All the added weight would be very low on the vehicle, we all know that adding weight lower is better than adding weight higher. Also, the front diff and axles would be at the front tires (in reference to front and rear). The transfercase, which would be the heaviest component would be located on the tailshaft of the transmission which would be roughly in the center of the vehicle. Lastly, the driveline would span the front axle and the transfercase. So, that would be the weight layout of the vehicle which doesn't sound too bad to me. The vehicle would gain weight but I think 300-400 lbs would be stretching it, unless truck parts were being used (8.25 front end/NV149 transfercase).
Old 11-26-2010, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the Trailblazer's AWD setup on my work computer. I'll post up the Trailblazer's setup when I'm home.
Almost forgot, the Trailblazer's AWD setup.

Quick Reply: Awd firebird!