Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Worst project ever

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst project ever

So I decided to take on the challenge of replacing my gears from 3.23 to 3.73 and rebuilding the rest of the differential. I was flying through this project from pressing off and on new bearings, pulling the pinion, everything I've heard everyone else struggle with. Then I came to the pinion races, which I believe are spawned from satan. I've reseated them over a hundred times, tried the freezer, tried gum remover and they refuse to cooperate. I'm fed up and dropped the housing and taking it to a pro on Thursday. I've done all my own work on my cars for the last 12 years, from header and head installs, some transmission work, everything the regular camaro lover would do, and I'm just very aggravated this is the only project I can't overcome. Anyone have any other ideas before I spend money and turn in my man card for the week?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pinion races? You are trying to reinstall them? try applying some heat to the case? I personally don't touch them unless they have some kind of physical damage. Sorry you are having such a hard time. at least you are able to press your own stuff. When I did my 4.10s I had to go have my pinion bearing pressed off and this dude told me he would have to charge me an hour shop time because it would take him a while to make a pipe to press the bearing back on. I asked why he wouldn't just use the same die he used to take it off and all I got was a blank stare. IDIOT. Anyhow good luck.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:31 AM
Banned

I had this happen recently with some brake line work and double flares. Just gave up after many tries. I don't have any tips as I haven't had the experience replacing gears but it is upsetting when you have to throw in the towel and go to the pros.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Which part exactly are you having trouble with? I rented the race installer kit from autozone to seat them. Looks like aluminum discs in varying sizes. I also bought a big hammer - maybe 3-4lbs. I might have put a little grease on the outside of the race, I forget honestly.

I pulled the rear to do the work so I was sitting in a comfortable position. I could see how it could get tiring if you are on your back under the car.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah like the other guy said if the races are not bad
you could have left them alone.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Teching In

I have the race installation tools, I tried lubricating it, I even tried after I pulled the rear out. The old ones looked good, I even tried reinstalling those. I just figured I had new ones, so why not install them. But leaving the old ones in would have saved me a lot of trouble. Thank god I don't need the car as a daily driver.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe it got nicked on the way out and the burr
is causing it to be a be-otch on the way back in.

either that or it's cocked and not going in perfectly
square.....either way I feel your pain.

lately I have been really hating on working on these
fbdy.....nothing is easy to get at and everything has to come out for even the stupidiest things.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are the new races identical to the old races...?

Is the case nicked/burred...?

What massls1guy said would help, work on axle with it removed from car.

Beer helps (sometimes).
Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

all ive ever done is to get the races started and then slowly walk them in using a star pattern, hitting them with a brass punch, if they get nicked they surely will be a p.i.t.a to get in. Like suggested earlier chec to see if they are infact the same size as the old ones with a caliper. Disagree with some of the other guys tho, even if not damaged the old races can wear to the old bearings and will cause noise or premature failure if not replaced with the new ones.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bryans02z28
I have the race installation tools, I tried lubricating it, I even tried after I pulled the rear out. The old ones looked good, I even tried reinstalling those. I just figured I had new ones, so why not install them. But leaving the old ones in would have saved me a lot of trouble. Thank god I don't need the car as a daily driver.
If you have the install tools it really should be an easy job. You must have the races centered good & they go right in. I have installed these with the tool & a brass punch & they went in fairly easy. They did take longer with the brass punch though.

Originally Posted by 69TA
yeah like the other guy said if the races are not bad
you could have left them alone.
You should always replace the races with the bearings.

fbdy.....nothing is easy to get at and everything has to come out for even the stupidiest things.
I dont agree, Fbodys are not all that bad to work on.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Quote:

Maybe because you have a lift
LOL, half the engine is under the f'ing cowl. Even with the hood off you still can't see of get to the back of the motor.

Most of the times I am thinking I am working on a van or something. I am not being a whiner here.....but **** sometimes I just wished these damm cars had a removable cowl or a tranny tunnel cover. I even considered getting one made.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time the easiest way to install the new races is to use the pinion. Just start the races then put the pinion in and tighten the nut until the races are seated. Then take a block of wood and tap on the pinion back and forth to be sure they are seated completely. Pull it the pinion back off and install the crush collar and preload it.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

I get them started and make sure they are straight. Then I sit the old bearings in the race and use a socket that just fits the inside of the bearing. Put an extension in the socket and drive them in. I also use a peice of round brass or steel and drive them in a little at a time working my way around the edge of the race. The race is very hard and you can beat on the outer edge of it without messing it up. You can tell when they are all the way in because the hammer will bounce back at you and the sound changes. You will know....

Are you trying to do it in the car, its a lot easier to do it outside the car on jack stands.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

I just had this problem recently. The remedy was to freeze them, then start them with a punch and go around the edges to make sure they're going in straight. If they're lined up its easy. if they are cocked, they will not go in i dont care what tool you use. Once i started them going in straight, i used the tool to drive them in the rest of the way and it was easy.

I think there just isnt enough room to line them up perfectly with the tool from the begininning.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Im a pro as you guys call it lol.I earn my living turing wrenches on cars and semi trucks and moonlite at a transmission shop that i worked @ for 6 years in the past.
I use the old races upside down,some thing flat(bigger than the race) and a bar or pipe what ever is handy at the time lol. You can put them in the freezer but they will go in fine out of the box.
Patients is also good lol. I seen my brother punch the fender on his 3rd gen after a mini starter kicked his *** that was funny.
O and you dont want too work it around with a punch cuz it will jack the race up. It pushes the steel out and will actully cuz lil bumps around the race,that will cause bearing noise and will eat the bearing up down the road.I know from experiance lol. I you have any ?s just ask

Last edited by red 95 t/a; 12-05-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Maybe because you have a lift
I can use the lift at work & do but generally speaking theyre not that bad really. I changed my cyl heads at home in my garage, easier than it looks. The job you are doing is not much different than on a truck or older Caprice. Try working on a vette.
LOL, half the engine is under the f'ing cowl. Even with the hood off you still can't see of get to the back of the motor.
Not sure why youre suddenly trying to get to the back of the engine, when youre installing pinion races?
Most of the times I am thinking I am working on a van or something. I am not being a whiner here.....but **** sometimes I just wished these damm cars had a removable cowl or a tranny tunnel cover. I even considered getting one made.
I still cant figure out what it is that youre trying to get at back there between the cowl & engine.
It isnt the car, its the job you are trying to do. If it was on a hoist you still would have trouble.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bryans02z28
But leaving the old ones in would have saved me a lot of trouble.

Don't ever use new bearing on an old race. It's like putting used flat tappet lifters on a new cam.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Teching In

So to make this project even worse, I guess I was really drunk when I looked at the GU code on the panel and somehow managed to confuse a 2 and a 5. So had to buy a two series, if anyone wants to buy an unused 3 series 3.73 or a stock 2 series 2.73 pm me.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red 95 t/a
Im a pro as you guys call it lol.I earn my living turing wrenches on cars and semi trucks and moonlite at a transmission shop that i worked @ for 6 years in the past.
I use the old races upside down,some thing flat(bigger than the race) and a bar or pipe what ever is handy at the time lol. You can put them in the freezer but they will go in fine out of the box.
Patients is also good lol. I seen my brother punch the fender on his 3rd gen after a mini starter kicked his *** that was funny.
O and you dont want too work it around with a punch cuz it will jack the race up. It pushes the steel out and will actully cuz lil bumps around the race,that will cause bearing noise and will eat the bearing up down the road.I know from experiance lol. I you have any ?s just ask
A brass punch will not screw up the races. Thats what typically use when installing them. I recently rebuilt my rear, didn't need to chill or heat anything. Just set the race in the bore and tapped it in evenly with a brass punch and hammer. The brass is much softer than the hardened steel race, so it will not cause damage to the edge of the race or the bearing surface.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
A brass punch will not screw up the races. Thats what typically use when installing them. I recently rebuilt my rear, didn't need to chill or heat anything. Just set the race in the bore and tapped it in evenly with a brass punch and hammer. The brass is much softer than the hardened steel race, so it will not cause damage to the edge of the race or the bearing surface.
Ya i know but your average fella usally dont have a brass punch laying around lol. But ya that will work too