Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3.07 gears in blown rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.07 gears in blown rear

I'm in the process of throwing a new(er) 10bolt under my car, and from the beginning I knew it didn't have 3.42's and I also knew it had never been tuned for other gears. My speedometer would read 65 at around 80. I blew it up a couple months ago, it went clunk, clunk, and then I was pushing. I figured i sheared teeth off the ring gear. I got started on it yesterday after gathering parts and such, and once I got the rear pulled out we opened it up. The first thing I noticed was the magnet in the cover was about twice normal size due to metal shavings. Second, the oil in it looked like sewage. Upon cleaning it up a little and pouring the poo out I found a couple of interesting things. Instead of the ring gear, three out of the four differential gears were stripped. All but the passenger side one. It had a stock style torsen diff. Then i looked to the ring to find the gear ratio, the pinion matched. I think it was 13:40. Whatever it was it came to 3.07 when i divided it. Pretty sure this didn't come out of a Camaro. Don't know exactly what all cars have them, I know there are about 15 different cars, most people specify the S-10, Yes it has the same rear, but mounts for leaf springs and no matching axle tube hardware with the F-body. Going back to stock 3.42's is going to be a huge nice jump!
Old 12-04-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm confused ! 3.08 would be the ratio,used in V6 camaros and other GM vehicles. Torsen posi doesn't have differential gears,sounds like an 'open' rear with 3 of the 4 spider gears blown. the rearend you were running in the car had leaf spring perch mounts ?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

The s10 has the leaf spring mounts. Nothing under my car. Just observations made about what people have said. Now that I have googled both torsen and open diffs, the one I took out was most definitely an open diff. I knew sometimes it would spin one, but it would also spin both especially in straights? The new one is at my buddies shop getting the axle tubes welded and i can't remember which diff it had.. Just from my foggy memory, I'm thinking the new one might be open... I seem to remember it had the pull out part in between the axles, not the rod like in the open diff. Not too sure, don't like that feeling.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Should be picking up the rear in the morning. We'll find out if it's posi or not for sure. Regardless, its going in. A working one is better than a trashed one for now. Anybody seen the drop in 9" cases on ebay? They're bout a grand, seems like about as cheap as you're gonna get one.. I've been thinking about doing a little budget build on the blown up housing. I'll need everything for it though. At that price, I'm thinking a cheap 9" is gonna be just a few $$$$ over the "built" 10 bolt.. I'm not really wanting to do this several times
Old 12-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

picked up rearend this evening. It is a posi. I was just so worried after i took the open apart because i couldn't quite remember what the other looked like. What a relief. It's going in either tomorrow or the next day. Friday and Saturday are supposed to be nice, in the 50s, with rain starting Saturday evening, so I am going to try to get it back up to Jeff's Friday or at least by Saturday to get the LCA relo's welded in. Then I've got some phantom P/S leak to figure out ( I think it's the rack somewhere ) and I'll be ready to go!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Well this afternoon I was messing with getting the new rear in. Had just about everything done. Boxed PHB with poly bushings, 1LE LCA bushings, (budget being key in this build), I welded the axle tubes, and have LCA relo's to put in. But. When it came time to pull the axles to swap the backing plates, one axle was REALLY hard to get out. After I had the brake lines back over the tubes, I went to put the axles back in and that one axle would NOT go in. No matter what. I guess the axle tube is bent just enough to throw off the spline alignment. Great. I'm going to try to find a place around here that can straighten rear ends, I'm not sure anyone around here has the machine to do so. Right now I'm at about $400 including the new rear. I'm already wishing I would've just saved for a 9" housing. Maybe I can get this thing straight and cruise on it till I have enough pennies put together for a 9". Anyone else had this issue?
Old 12-11-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
I'm confused ! the rearend you were running in the car had leaf spring perch mounts ?

^ I love these replys
Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

No luck around here as far as PROFESSIONAL axle tube straightening. I guess I'm gonna be giving it a try. So far I've found 3 methods with Google.. Will post results or lack there of soon......
Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The axle tube could of been drawn out of square when the tube was welded. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

Possible, I was thinking about that. It's pretty bent I think, I've only had a chance to take a quick look at it.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Got the rear in, was able to straighten it some with a torch. Got it looking good, 1LE LCA bushings, boxed and painted PHB, painted LCA's painted rear black, silver cover.
Runs good. Dead silent, tracks straight. I am very very surprised, because that one axle was still hard to get in. So I have maybe 150 miles on this rear so far. Keep you posted..