Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ID the Strange Noise "popping" Moser 9"

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ID the Strange Noise "popping" Moser 9"

Cool Video but forward to 1:35 and listen to about 1:39 What's that noise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwVqJ..._order&list=UL

What's that noise... The ABS InOp came on in the return lane, (last pass) then when I got on the high way it went off. The brake shoes for the E-Brake are intact, a little seapage from the drivers side axle, no real place for anything to get in, the gear looking thing for the ABS is intact. There's no play in the bearings, everything seems tight.

Spun the axle forward everthing seemed fine, the axle shafts have very little just about no play (like new), checked the universal joint it's solid, the straps that hold it in are solid, the center section has some wetness, she has alot more seapage lately, but no drips on the garage floor, I've heard that's normal... considering the abuse it's been takeing, even the vent hole has seapage. Spinning the axle in reverse has more resistance than forward (if I remember correctly it's been that way since new).

The only thing I can really pin point it possibly being is that the spacers shifted, I've heard them do that before... never heard them that loudly though? I'm running 5/8" spacers with the prostar's and I run them with my 17x11 ZR1's as well with 3" ARP studs

I drove the car home from the track on 14.5psi and never heard anything, I even gave her a few quick runs on the main highway and on next state highway with out any noises, stopped at 2 stop lights with no noises. There was a slight noise, kind of a squeek turning from the main road to the residential street and another squeek turning from the road up the drive way... nothing too concerning though, did't exactly sound like bushings, but I'm going to grease them again before putting the wheels on.

Going to check the fluid tomorrow... The Double Adjustable LCA's also came some what loose, driver side came out a little, about 1/16" to 1/8th" longer, I'll remeasure and put them back into place with some blue lock tight... I wouldn't think that would be enough to put the pinion angle out of adjustment?

just kind of a strange event? kind of glad I didnt find anything, but it's still a little troubleing?

Anyone ? Any Clue ?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what Differentials youn use with you 9" ?
i have the same problem because i run Locker Differentials
thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by same o'j
what Differentials youn use with you 9" ?
i have the same problem because i run Locker Differentials
thanks
it's a tru-trac

I'm really thinking it may have just been the DA LCA's there's some movement when the jam nuts aren't tight? That's what I'm really hopeing for.

Pulling the drivers side axle tonight.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It could be the True-trac that is making the popping sound, as they have been known to make a popping noise as they go bad. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-09-2010, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
It could be the True-trac that is making the popping sound, as they have been known to make a popping noise as they go bad. Bob

What's the life expectancy after they start makeing a popping noise? Have you ever heard it in person? Does it sound like it does in the video?

I finially drove her today, no strange noises... romped on her a few times and did a few sudden stops, with no repete of the noise... not that I want anything to be busted.

I'm hopeing it was just the DA LCA's loose at the jam nuts, I blue lock tight'd them last night, diff fluid looks clean and the LCA's were tight on the axle houseing and the frame?

I had one other person mention it could be the bolt in subframes shifted and popped back? i hear them creek from time to time but never 3 distinct popp's?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

A little update on this

I talked to Foz at Moser Friday, when tru-trac's go the popping noise is constant. As the popping was isolated and hasn't done it since and there were more variables to the situation that day.

At this Point the Double Adjustable UMI LCA's seem to have been the culprit, they're blue lock-tight-ed, so hopefully they don't loosen them selves again.

Drove the car Thursday Night and Friday Night, gave her all kinds of hell on the street... haven't heard the noise since.