Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Install Tips? Strange Going In Friday...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Install Tips? Strange Going In Friday...

I have my friend who works at a Chevrolet dealership who's doing the install. He's a "spec" mechanic, so I wonder if anyone would like to share any advice being that this guy hasn't done mods.

Any ideas re: the yoke, driveshaft, etc. will be appreciated. I only want to do this once!
Old 02-10-2004, 08:26 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Being a strange you will get the u joint and the rearend come with lube in it already just paint and bolt in and be nice on it for 200 hunded miles for breakin the nicer you are the more quiet the gears will be.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tuff
Being a strange you will get the u joint and the rearend come with lube in it already just paint and bolt in and be nice on it for 200 hunded miles for breakin the nicer you are the more quiet the gears will be.
Thanks dude. Oh I'll baby it alright. After thrashing 5 sets of Motives in 7 weeks 3 years ago, I'm not going down that road again. It cost me $1700.00 for a 4.10 gear swap.

It wasn't my fault either. (Long story, I'll spare you.)
Old 02-10-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swapping a rearend is about the easiest thing you can do, It's only held in by a few bolts. Any mechanic worth his tools should be able to knock this out, np.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Swapping a rearend is about the easiest thing you can do, It's only held in by a few bolts. Any mechanic worth his tools should be able to knock this out, np.
Sounds good, thanks.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

As Levi noted, the Strange 12-bolt is a very straightforward swap. All of the stock hardware will bolt right back up (no relocation of swaybar, etc., needed). About the only thing you'll need are a spacer and a longer bolt to mount the rear brake line to the housing. Also you'll have to do a little work modifying the factory jumper wires for the ABS sensor since the Strange sensor is different (at least if you have 3-channel ABS - not sure about the 4-channel setup).

Last edited by Fulton 1; 02-11-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
As Levi noted, the Strange 12-bolt is a very straightforward swap. All of the stock hardware will bolt right back up (no relocation of swaybar, etc., needed). About the only thing you'll need are a spacer and a longer bolt to mount the rear brake line to the housing. Also you'll have to do a little work modifying the factory jumper wires for the ABS sensor since the Strange sensor is different (at least if you have 3-channel ABS - not sure about the 4-channel setup).
Great. I'll keep this in mind while we do the install. Thanks.