Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

$150.00 Freightbill!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default $150.00 Freightbill!

Woah, everyone told me to expect to pay $75-$100 on the delivery of my Strange 12 bolt. WTF? Isn't Strange in Ohio? (I'm in S. Florida.) And I specifically asked for it to be delivered to a dealership to avoid the residential delivery.

Is this "normal?" Or are we getting pinned on the cost of fuel? Goddam OPEC!

OPEC.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

I just found out they're in Illinois. Still pissed......
Old 02-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
Woah, everyone told me to expect to pay $75-$100 on the delivery of my Strange 12 bolt. WTF? Isn't Strange in Ohio? (I'm in S. Florida.) And I specifically asked for it to be delivered to a dealership to avoid the residential delivery.

Is this "normal?" Or are we getting pinned on the cost of fuel? Goddam OPEC!

OPEC.
That sucks but I thought it would cost that much to Florida anyway. I could be wrong.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

I just had mine delivered about a month ago to south Georgia. Shipping run me about $125 so that sounds about right, but it still sucks.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red346
Shipping run me about $125 so that sounds about right, but it still sucks.
with that phrase everyone couldve told ya where your from
Old 02-10-2004, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds close. What class did they send it, what is the weight and Zip Codes?
Old 02-10-2004, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

1ScrudeDude
did you order your 12 bolt from TBYRNE from the GP late in dec,early jan.I ordered mine on jan 5,5 weeks ago and they are saying maybe it will be done by the end of the feb.if you ordered it the same time as me consider yourself lucky, they said 3-4 weeks when it got ordered.im glad i dont drive this car during the winter.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
1ScrudeDude
did you order your 12 bolt from TBYRNE from the GP late in dec,early jan.I ordered mine on jan 5,5 weeks ago and they are saying maybe it will be done by the end of the feb.if you ordered it the same time as me consider yourself lucky, they said 3-4 weeks when it got ordered.im glad i dont drive this car during the winter.
NHRA yup, TByrne, I'm the one who first requested the GP, kudos to you and others who made it happen....And I did get the last unit w/ the HD posi! Sorry man! I think this is the first time in my life I got a little lucky. Usually I'm iced out.

As far as weight and dimensions; 25"-Length 83"-Width 23"-Height at 255lbs.
I guess I feel better that I wasn't out of the ordinary, but this is yet one of those "hidden costs" that creep up. So much for me going out and getting Nittos anytime soon.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLKTA
Sounds close. What class did they send it, what is the weight and Zip Codes?
60053 to 33414
Class? No one could tell me ****. In fact, Strange gave me very very little info. I thought the customer service was good...? They have been mediocre at best....

I had to track the freight company down, Strange sent it out and yet could not give me anything but the name of the freight company. No phone number, no tracking number, no nuthin'! And I spent 15 minutes to extract this little information
Old 02-10-2004, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

60053 to 33414
Class? No one could tell me ****. In fact, Strange gave me very very little info. I thought the customer service was good...? They have been mediocre at best....

I had to track the freight company down, Strange sent it out and yet could not give me anything but the name of the freight company. No phone number, no tracking number, no nuthin'! And I spent 15 minutes to extract this little information
Not unusual. Some companies don't give out that info because they want to hide their steep discount. I'm sure it was Class 100, which is a general class. If it's any consolation, my lightweight aftemarket hood cost about the same to ship. So I tracked the bill and found the actual ship cost was less than half. They refused to pass along their discount, which sucks because at my work when we ship truck we usually pass along the discount (57%).

You will see this happening more and more because freight is where a company can recoup some of the costs when selling at low prices. I can check the rates tomorrow at work, but still need the weight.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:42 PM
wrencher

Most of us around here are glad there close, we can just pick them up.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm.. $150 is bad?

Well.. I'm sure Strange would let you come pick it up
Old 02-10-2004, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Umm.. $150 is bad?

Well.. I'm sure Strange would let you come pick it up
It is when it's not disclosed to you after inquiring....
Old 02-10-2004, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLKTA
Not unusual. Some companies don't give out that info because they want to hide their steep discount. I'm sure it was Class 100, which is a general class. If it's any consolation, my lightweight aftemarket hood cost about the same to ship. So I tracked the bill and found the actual ship cost was less than half. They refused to pass along their discount, which sucks because at my work when we ship truck we usually pass along the discount (57%).

You will see this happening more and more because freight is where a company can recoup some of the costs when selling at low prices. I can check the rates tomorrow at work, but still need the weight.
Just as I thought. I called out Speed Inc. on a H/C package freight charge, and they agreed to give me some credit back.

Great info my friend. Weight was stated in earlier post but I "hid" it; 255 lbs.

Thanks bro.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

If you want to control the cost of shipping, then arrange it yourself..."Freight Collect". It is cheaper to ship to a commercial address than to a residence.
Here's the info off of my freight bill from Strange via FedEx Freight:
Description: Automotive Parts - Axle Shafts 1-skid
Weight: 254 lbs.
NMFC: 017900-00
Class: 060
Hope this helps.
John
Old 02-11-2004, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

It is when it's not disclosed to you after inquiring....
Wait till you get the rear. You'll then see where your money was spent!

Strange rears come in a very well built crate. Are they suppose to provide that for free?

As far as getting twisted up over a company save on frieght... it's only good business that gets them that lower rate. They could raise the price of the rear another $500 and give you "free" shipping
Old 02-11-2004, 07:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnR
If you want to control the cost of shipping, then arrange it yourself..."Freight Collect". It is cheaper to ship to a commercial address than to a residence.
Here's the info off of my freight bill from Strange via FedEx Freight:
Description: Automotive Parts - Axle Shafts 1-skid
Weight: 254 lbs.
NMFC: 017900-00
Class: 060
Hope this helps.
John
Yup, did that. Man, I wonder how much it would have cost if I had it shipped to my door!
Old 02-11-2004, 07:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Wait till you get the rear. You'll then see where your money was spent!

Strange rears come in a very well built crate. Are they suppose to provide that for free?

As far as getting twisted up over a company save on frieght... it's only good business that gets them that lower rate. They could raise the price of the rear another $500 and give you "free" shipping
My main beef is that NO ONE (various vendors, Strange, Moser) gave me a straight answer when I asked for an estimate for shipping. Most said $75-$125.

I'm sure that the crate and packing are top notch. But why HIDE (and then lowball) the cost? When I explained to my wife what I wanted (the 12 bolt) she asked for all costs associated with transaction. Being that we are not rich like many on here, this was a big deal to us. So when I had to explain to her these "hidden costs," it makes me look like I am not telling her everything or do a lousy job of estimating projects.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:01 AM
kp
8 Second Club

heh, bought a laptop on eBay - guy charged me 40.00 shipping. The label on the box from the post office was 9.75

150.00 for shipping 255lbs halfway across the country isnt that bad, there are discounts and cheaper ways to do it but I wouldnt say you got ripped off.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the Seattle area and my shipping cost for the Strange was $217. Also, the freight co. never contacted me ahead of time, so I got a call one morning at work from the driver who was sitting in front of my house waiting 25 miles away. Turns out someone dropped the ball and didn't call like they were supposed to. Luckily the driver was cool and he waited around.

Personally I don't think these shipping costs are too bad - you gotta figure the cost of the driver's time, truck, fuel, etc. Just shipping a small package UPS is steep these days. As WILWAXU note above, you will be happy with the Strange setup - it comes on a pallet fully assembled, sealed, and with fluid. All you need to do is paint and install.