Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Needs opinions on what to do!!!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Needs opinions on what to do!!!!!

I have a Moser 35 spline 9" with a spool on my 2000 M6 Camaro. I'm getting ready to install a TT 408 and make around 850whp. I HATE the spool on the street with a 6 speed car, not to mention the crazy tire wear and black marks everywhere in my driveway. Problem is the 35 spline axles, the ONLY limited slip I can find is the $1000 Wavelock. Should I just sell my 35 spline axles and go to a 31 or 33 spline or just break down and ge the wavelock?? Also, will 31 spline axles support nearly 900HP on a 3700lb car? If I did go with 33 spline, whats the strongest and "smoothest" way to go and still hold the power?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could run a detroit locker in it, but it probably wont live long behind that much power and the manual.

The wavetrac is pretty much the only limited slip diff that is rated for that much power, but some guys have broken them.

So basically even if you switch axles to run a posi it wont live very long.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

This is one of the many side effects when street driving with that much horse power. Lets face it power adders allow You to make that and more HP on the street. You currently have the correct setup for Your combination but You aren't happy with it. From the point You are at any changes to the rearend are going to be expensive and they become somewhat of a compromise.

Please don't try the locker style rear differentials, whether it is a Detroit Locker, soft locker, Lenco Locker or one of the many others it can be dangerous combined with a manual transmission.

I have no hands on experience with the Wavetrac but have read some good feedback about them. Moser is the exclusive distributor for the Wavetrac so You should probably begin with them.

Hopefully Bob will chime in and provide You with the hard facts about the Wavetrac in Your situation.

Good luck with Your combination and please keep us posted as Your project continues!

Carl
Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
This is one of the many side effects when street driving with that much horse power. Lets face it power adders allow You to make that and more HP on the street. You currently have the correct setup for Your combination but You aren't happy with it. From the point You are at any changes to the rearend are going to be expensive and they become somewhat of a compromise.

Please don't try the locker style rear differentials, whether it is a Detroit Locker, soft locker, Lenco Locker or one of the many others it can be dangerous combined with a manual transmission.

I have no hands on experience with the Wavetrac but have read some good feedback about them. Moser is the exclusive distributor for the Wavetrac so You should probably begin with them.

Hopefully Bob will chime in and provide You with the hard facts about the Wavetrac in Your situation.

Good luck with Your combination and please keep us posted as Your project continues!

Carl
Thanks Carl! You're right, with the higher horsepower comes the need for a differential that can handle the power, and a locker isn't what I would go with either. The OP would likely knock out the less costly differentials and the Wavetrac would be the one I would go with.

Originally Posted by scidav87
I have a Moser 35 spline 9" with a spool on my 2000 M6 Camaro. I'm getting ready to install a TT 408 and make around 850whp. I HATE the spool on the street with a 6 speed car, not to mention the crazy tire wear and black marks everywhere in my driveway. Problem is the 35 spline axles, the ONLY limited slip I can find is the $1000 Wavelock. Should I just sell my 35 spline axles and go to a 31 or 33 spline or just break down and ge the wavelock?? Also, will 31 spline axles support nearly 900HP on a 3700lb car? If I did go with 33 spline, whats the strongest and "smoothest" way to go and still hold the power?
I would go with the Wavetrac for the reasons stated above. Here is a link to it from my website. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-5W9...ser-5W9F35.htm Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Restricted User

Get a selectable.....

Then you have the mileage of the open diff, and the strength and traction of a spool when locked...

Unfortunately though you went with the 9" and only have the option of the ARB...

The arb and wt are similar in price
Old 02-19-2011, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lol... yea. if the air locker was that good of an idea don't you think people would have been doing it for years already? the air locker is best suited in 4WD applications... just like the Detroit lockers are. the idea sounds good, its just not sensible in these cars.

to the op... if you could get a descent sale price for the used parts you have then all new components won't be so bad, but the Wavetrac is the best thing available right now for the 35 spline application in a diff unit. the 31 and 35 spline are the same cost. the new 31 spline unit is actually the same case and internals with 31 spline side gears instead of 35's. We have sold a ton of the Wavetrac diffs and they are holding up very well.

there is a new 35 spline diff unit coming on the market soon also that will give another option to people needing to choose between all the diffs available, and won't be quite as costly as the Wavetrac.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:51 PM
9 Second Club

Fantastic. Thanks for the replies!!! Looks like i'll be getting the Wavetrac. BUT HOPEFULLY that Strange version of it will come out soon!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:54 PM
9 Second Club

Any word on when that Strange unit will come out?? At all?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Question

Any word on when that Strange unit will come out?? At all?
What Strange version are you referring to?

Old 02-21-2011, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

He is probably talking about the one we have been testing for them for the past two years. They are supposed to be releasing them some time this spring but hopefully sooner.

Here is a picture from it being tested last year in a t-56 nitrous combination in our fabricated nine inch and suspension items.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:59 AM
9 Second Club

This spring huh? If thats the case I may hold off on buying the Wavetrac and see about getting that one if it saves $$$ for the same thing! Badass car BTW.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man if that wasnt an in your face reply. Lol.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The new diff unit is already in the production S60 rearends right now, but the 9 inch version is taking a bit longer. We are selling plenty of Wavetrac diffs as it is the best thing on the market right now, and will still be a great option for us and our customers even when the new unit is available for retail sales. Once again... major vendors look to us to test for them because they know we are at the track almost every weekend racing, and cruising the streets when not at the track, doing r&d on our products as well as the components we use that we don't manufacture.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Give me a call or you can order the Wavetrac from my website and it can ship out right away. Bob

Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

This spring huh? If thats the case I may hold off on buying the Wavetrac and see about getting that one if it saves $$$ for the same thing! Badass car BTW.
You are in the same boat we are in, it might be worth the wait to for the Strange unit since we are not racing any time soon due to the weather.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ssvert99
lol... yea. if the air locker was that good of an idea don't you think people would have been doing it for years already? the air locker is best suited in 4WD applications... just like the Detroit lockers are. the idea sounds good, its just not sensible in these cars.
Not sensible, lmao, then why do they make them for cars..... what a silly thing to say..
I have been using them for over 18 years, since the ARB offered the best of all worlds and can make you money, then with the Eaton E for the last 5 years, I couldn't wait for that to be released, and now i have them too....

Amazing that you think it's only a 4x thing...
That is utterly dopey to say out loud, let alone put in type to be quoted.

I have plenty of cars and trucks racing the air locker and eaton e-lockers, drag racing, and street cars, for the guys that don't like the wet weather issues and being able to make tight turns without bearing issues...they can turn it off...click it's off....click it's on

The entire development of selectable lockers was exactly for all of these situations of a needed or a on demand traction system.....what a thought to cast it off as a 4x world thing only.

Too bad you car guys are missing all the benefits of it because people think its a truck thing...

That answers why some perf places never bring that option to the customer...they think its a 4x thing
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe its because it would act like a spool or a open rear in high speed corners and exit. I wouldnt want to nail the throttle in any ls car with an open rear coming out of a corner, and damn sure wouldnt be throwing a car with a spool in curves. To me hitting a button when I needed throttle and traction isnt a good option as the straightest road I travel is my driveway
Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Supershafts
Not sensible, lmao, then why do they make them for cars..... what a silly thing to say..
I have been using them for over 18 years, since the ARB offered the best of all worlds and can make you money, then with the Eaton E for the last 5 years, I couldn't wait for that to be released, and now i have them too....

I have plenty of cars and trucks racing the air locker and eaton e-lockers, drag racing, and street cars, for the guys that don't like the wet weather issues and being able to make tight turns without bearing issues...they can turn it off...click it's off....click it's on

The entire development of selectable lockers was exactly for all of these situations of a needed or a on demand traction system.....what a thought to cast it off as a 4x world thing only.

Too bad you car guys are missing all the benefits of it because people think its a truck thing...

That answers why some perf places never bring that option to the customer...they think its a 4x thing
Because there isn't to many drag racers or street cruisers that want all this in their vehicle.

Plus drill and tap the case for the air line. We have installed these in a ton of different 4x4 applications and understand using one very much so.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Supershafts

ok then let reality speak for itself. Drag Week the last two years... multiple types of cars, 1000 miles or so on the course itself, 7 second cars to 12 second cars.

how many of them use an air locker... ZERO

its as simple as this... if it was that good of an idea everyone would be doing it. I've installed several of them in big truck and Jeeps though and it works well for them.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any details yall might be willing to give out on this new Strange rear diff?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Needs opinions on what to do!!!!!