Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My Mid-West Chassis Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My Mid-West Chassis Experience

The story begins when I snapped my 10-bolt at the track. I wanted an axle that I wouldn’t have to worry about breaking. After reading the sterling reviews about MWC, I decided to email Eric and begin the process of ordering a 9”. He was extremely helpful in selecting the options for the axle and what was necessary for my application. I ended up ordering full suspension, a back brace, powder coating, a drive shaft and a few other items.

I put the deposit down for my axle on November 18th and I was very excited to finally get my car back on the road. A few weeks went by and I started to get anxious. On January 25th “my” axle finally arrived. I drove to fed-ex to pick it up and couldn’t wait to open the crate. Once I got home, I opened the crate and to my surprise, there were missing parts. I examined the contents closer and realized that this was not my axle. Somehow, I had received some else’s order. After all of this waiting and anticipation, I did not have my axle. I called Jason the next day and he explained to me that my axle had been shipped to New Jersey, which is across the country from my home state of Arizona. Disappointed, I began to carefully repack the contents to return the crate to its original state. Jason asked me to fill out a fed ex shipping label and return the crate to fed ex. Fed Ex is a 1.5 hour round trip from house, but I accepted his request. To make matters worse, on my way to drop of the axle, I was rear-ended on the free-way. This caused more than $3,000 worth of damage.

(bent hitch, bent bumper, broken tail light, dented tail gate, broken back-up camera, bent exhaust, etc.)

On February 10th, MY axle arrived at Fed Ex. So I made the trip over there for the third time and loaded up the wooden crate into my truck. After driving 4.5 hours, getting rear-ended and waiting 3 months I FINALLY had MY axle in the bed of my truck. I opened the crate expecting there to be damage because this axle had traveled across the United States twice, but to my surprise there was none.

I installed the axle that weekend and everything went smoothly. I had MWC assemble it, so it was a direct bolt in. I am enjoying the axle so far, but I am still having a small vibration due to the pinion angle. Also, I may have a small leak out of the pinion seal. I’m not sure if it is an actual leak or just some pre-lube.

Overall I am happy with my purchase. I wish I didn’t have to go through all of that to get to this point, but Jason promised me a discount on my next purchase from them. I hope he stays true to his word.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch man, sorry to hear about all that. I hate it when Mr. Murphy shows up and decides it is time to take you out behind the woodshed. Hopefully all the bad stuff is behind you and you can get back to tearing the track up.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We are truly sorry about your experience with the shipping situation. At the end of the day we are all human and mistakes are possible, but we will do whatever it takes to make it right and in the shortest time. There are several people to touch the crate between us and you so anything is possible. This is the first time and the last time this will happen no doubt in my mind.

I do the gear assembly myself and chances are you are seeing the bit of oil that is applied to the seal during the install. A seal installed dry is a failure waiting to happen, and there is normally some oil residue present on the outer surface from this.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:06 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I/We are men of our word and we will take care of your needs next time you need a MWC item. That and as long as MWC doors are open we are here for you even if it isn't to purchase something.

Need anything else let me know.

Two of you can honestly say you have put over 5000 miles on your rear end before they were even installed.

PS- To explain the shipping error, we use FedEx Freight/National, at the time of the shipment FedEx dropped National and a bunch of shipping locations as well. My only explanation I got is that some how they mixed up the paper work once it hit the first stop. We are using it as a learning experience for sure.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I read the title it wasnt what I expected. Damn sucks that FedEx is 1.5 hrs away & you got rear ended in the process. Sounds like it was a mistake made by the shipper. I was able to have my stuff delivered to my work but it didnt all come at once. Had to wait another 2-3 weeks for Strange to ship my axles so it took about 4 months. That wasnt a big deal as the car was in storage.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:03 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
When I read the title it wasnt what I expected. Damn sucks that FedEx is 1.5 hrs away & you got rear ended in the process. Sounds like it was a mistake made by the shipper. I was able to have my stuff delivered to my work but it didnt all come at once. Had to wait another 2-3 weeks for Strange to ship my axles so it took about 4 months. That wasnt a big deal as the car was in storage.
You fell into the group that bought the Yukon Thru-Bolt that went on BO an none were there to be purchased, we did how ever solve that problem by going out and buying eight of them at full retail from someone else having them on the shelf to complete our customers order. I do appreciate them for going out of their way to find someone with some and I'm sorry some fell into that but we did offer remedies so there would be no extended wait time, how ever most were OK with the wait for the Yukon Thro-Bolt.

Last year we was plagued very badly with BO items from other manufactures. We since have made adjustments to try and make that not happen again, all though we don't want to have a huge overhead here because a bigger overhead means higher prices and we are always looking for ways to keep our prices down and not going up.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
I/We are men of our word and we will take care of your needs next time you need a MWC item. That and as long as MWC doors are open we are here for you even if it isn't to purchase something.

Need anything else let me know.

Two of you can honestly say you have put over 5000 miles on your rear end before they were even installed.

PS- To explain the shipping error, we use FedEx Freight/National, at the time of the shipment FedEx dropped National and a bunch of shipping locations as well. My only explanation I got is that some how they mixed up the paper work once it hit the first stop. We are using it as a learning experience for sure.
I'm ready to buy a K-member and some other items

Someone decided to hit my car and drive away The K-member and upper/lower control arms are bent on both sides. My car is a weekend driver, so would you recommend the tubular control arms? Let me know what you can do with pricing on a package deal.

P.S. The rear end has been GREAT!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I talked with mwc aboyt a rear end but got a moser 9 instead. They had excellent service and very friendly. I might try mwc for my next rear end.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
I talked with mwc aboyt a rear end but got a moser 9 instead. They had excellent service and very friendly. I might try mwc for my next rear end.
I would. Their customer service and products are excellent.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where are they located?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
Where are they located?
In the mid west =)

http://www.midwestchassis.com/contact-info.html
Old 02-12-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the very very great state (outside of our politicians ) of IL!

This thread is the reason I'm glad I'm within driving distance and just picking mine up.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to get of topic but what chicago wants chicago gets il. Il is very corupte
Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6.0 silverado

Someone decided to hit my car and drive away The K-member and upper/lower control arms are bent on both sides. My car is a weekend driver, so would you recommend the tubular control arms? Let me know what you can do with pricing on a package deal.

now your car got hit after your truck accident?

damn.................

hey why dont you go get a lotto ticket for shyts & giggles,i got a feeling.

good luck!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 6.0 silverado

wow... some bad luck there for sure!

I would do the tubular lowers for sure, but the uppers aren't much of a benefit other than the adjustability as there isn't much weight to be saved for the cost.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't sound like you're bitter about the experience, but you are frustrated. I can definitely understand that with your situation. I just wanna post in and say that these guys at MWC will stand behind their product and do whatever is necessary (within reason) to help you out!

I too had a couple month wait on my rearend back in the end of '09. But I knew there'd be a wait after reading their long running thread on the rearends. A year and a half later I find out I bent my strange 31 spline axles, on about 350whp and 1.6 60' on a t-56. No warranty one the 31 spline axles (although there's a manufacturer defect warranty). I called up MWC and told them my scenario and they went to bat for me with Strange, and I eventually got a new set of axles from Strange (minus cost of shipping axles to them). They stepped up when they didn't have to (not their part, no warranty on it) and did what they could for me! Great customer service.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

That crazy that you bent your axle man.
Glad to hear they took car of you though.
So how do you like the rear end o.p.?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

I installed the axle that weekend and everything went smoothly. I had MWC assemble it, so it was a direct bolt in. I am enjoying the axle so far, but I am still having a small vibration due to the pinion angle. Also, I may have a small leak out of the pinion seal. I’m not sure if it is an actual leak or just some pre-lube.

I am sure they use a good install kit, but I do know that the pinion seals you get from Autozone and Advance are junk. The Yukon seal that comes in their install kit is a nice seal. Also Napa sells a good seal, that looks to be the same one that comes in the Yukon kit.

As far as vibration, jack the car up and run it on jack stands and see if your wheels run true. Even after I had 2 straight axles in my car my wheels still moved up and down while running it on stands. This is becasue the wheel center on the Moser axles does not stick out far enough to engage the wheel like the stock 10 bolt. You are relying on the studs to center the wheel on the axle. The last time I had my 9 inch in my car it vibrated like a mother at about 70-80 MPH. I couldnt even drive it. I put the 10 bolt back in recentlly, changed nothing else, and it went away. Wheels do not wobble with the 10 bolt in the car. I am going to weld up the centers on the Moser axles then turn them down in a lathe. This will void the waranty but I dont care. Good Luck

Oh...what happened to your 6.0 Silverado...thats a junky Dodge in the picture you posted....JK
Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still got goosbumps waiting for my MWC rear end and suspension, I hope it shows up soon I belive it was shipped last friday if I am not mistakin
Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 AM
TECH Regular

The only way two different people get each others parts is the wrong label was put on each others parts. Now could have both labels fallen off the crate and they guessed which is which? Possible! I know one thing I do NOW when I ship is I tape on the label AFTER its in its shipping sleeve! I have had Fed Ex lose two of my packages because they lost the slips! NOW they physically have to remove my tape to get to the shipping labels!

Joe

Quick Reply: My Mid-West Chassis Experience