Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

2.73 to 3.73

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Default 2.73 to 3.73

Ok so I'm going to change my gears from 2.73s to 3.73s. What will I need? I see on the sites (speed inc.) about a master install kit. Will I need that or can I just get the gears without it. Gonna have them professionally done and I'm going to go with the GM motive gears as I've heard that the Richmond gears are a bit loud. What are your thoughts/opinions guys? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, get the master kit, it comes with the bearings,shims, gaskets, and seals that you need to do the job, The master kit cost, but you need to replace everything thats in there to do it right. I too have heard that motive gears are some of the best, and that richmonds can be loud,, there will be a hundred people saying they are quiet, and another 100 saying they are loud. Whatever you get, for them to be queit they have to be set up properly, thats the key.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I can tell you first hand that getting someone else to do it is key. I did it myself (3.08s to 4.10s) and it was one of the worst automotive service experiences I have ever had (special tools, nonsense, etc). Plus, you can hold the shop accountable for their work. Me? I just have myself to blame.

Also, it is important to note that you are going from a 2-series to 3-series carrier gear. You'll either need a ring gear spacer, 3.73s that fit the 2-series carrier, or a whole new carrier.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Ok so I'm going to change my gears from 2.73s to 3.73s. What will I need? I see on the sites (speed inc.) about a master install kit. Will I need that or can I just get the gears without it. Gonna have them professionally done and I'm going to go with the GM motive gears as I've heard that the Richmond gears are a bit loud. What are your thoughts/opinions guys? Thanks in advance.
Motive is not GM, AAM is as close to GM in aftermarket. If you are going 3:73 get the AAM (I am assuming you are buying from Jaws). The Master Install Kit will get you the bearings, seals and shims, I went with this and my backlash was around .006
Old 02-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Launching!

I run Motive 3.73s in my car. I did not notice any noise at all but as said above I believe that getting them installed correctly is the key factor. I installed mine in my car with a buddy in about 3 hours, not to bad if you have the correct equipment and tools. Also I would recommend installing new axle bearings and seals while you have the axles pulled out. Then everything is new and you wont have to worry about it later on down the road. The 3.73s will really wake your car up, you'll love them!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 T/A
Motive is not GM, AAM is as close to GM in aftermarket. If you are going 3:73 get the AAM (I am assuming you are buying from Jaws). The Master Install Kit will get you the bearings, seals and shims, I went with this and my backlash was around .006
From Speed Inc.'s website,

Motive Gear
GM/Motive Gearsets
GENUINE GM GEARS packaged by Motive, quieter than most aftermarket gears. Choose from 3.23 3.42 3.73 and 4.10 ratios MOTIVE PERFORMANCE gears, made by Motive, extremely high quality aftermarket gear set

So I read it as GM Motive but not as Motive as GM, I'm going to get the gears from Speed Inc. just didn't know what the whole master install kit was all about.

I know about the 2 series carrier thing but I'm going to get the 3.73s for a 2 series carrier.

And yeah I can't wait to wake the car up, going 2500 rpms to keep up with traffic bites a bit, the cam made it sleepy off the line and being in 1st and 2nd way too long down the 1/4 doesn't help either, time to change things up a bit....
Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ordered mine from the ws6 store 10 day's ago and the gear instalation will be done today...can't wait...sam as you 2:73 to 3:73.

motive series 2 3:73s
deluxe/master install kit (everthing that you need) so get it
differential fluid
2 quarts gear oil
it was 367$
The install is 300$ (shop around...I was first quoted 600$ and almost went with it)
tune for the speedo 50$ so 7-750$ total for mine...not to bad

I pick up the car today with this shitty michigan ice storm we just got...fking great day for new gears and ice..but back to storage.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
From Speed Inc.'s website,

Motive Gear
GM/Motive Gearsets
GENUINE GM GEARS packaged by Motive, quieter than most aftermarket gears. Choose from 3.23 3.42 3.73 and 4.10 ratios MOTIVE PERFORMANCE gears, made by Motive, extremely high quality aftermarket gear set

So I read it as GM Motive but not as Motive as GM, I'm going to get the gears from Speed Inc. just didn't know what the whole master install kit was all about.

I know about the 2 series carrier thing but I'm going to get the 3.73s for a 2 series carrier.

And yeah I can't wait to wake the car up, going 2500 rpms to keep up with traffic bites a bit, the cam made it sleepy off the line and being in 1st and 2nd way too long down the 1/4 doesn't help either, time to change things up a bit....
Motive offers the Blue (track) and Orange(street) box gears, I went with 3:90 Orange and then 3:73 AAM. I was told and there are many posts on this that the AAM is quieter and more consistent, they just don't offer a 3:90 which dose not matter if you are 3:73. Either way, I am very sure that none of these gears are to the same spec as over the counter GM for $900! You will love the 3:73, hope it works out.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

The GM gears are AAM from Jaws-thats where I got mine.
If you have not done the rear get a solid crush sleeve too.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Launching!

Excuse me for probably sounding really newbish, but I have a question about the effect changing gears has. I admit that I don't know a whole lot just yet on all of the inner workings that make a car put power down.

The amount of power that I feel when taking off is larger when stomping the gas from a dead stop than it is when stomping the gas rolling at say 40-50 mph. If I lay the pedal down at 45 mph or so I feel like the car is kind of sluggish gaining speed. Like it hit a lull point for a bit.

Does changing the gear ratio fix this issue, if not how can I get more power in this range? thanks in advance
Old 04-24-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
I can tell you first hand that getting someone else to do it is key. I did it myself (3.08s to 4.10s) and it was one of the worst automotive service experiences I have ever had (special tools, nonsense, etc). Plus, you can hold the shop accountable for their work. Me? I just have myself to blame.

Also, it is important to note that you are going from a 2-series to 3-series carrier gear. You'll either need a ring gear spacer, 3.73s that fit the 2-series carrier, or a whole new carrier.
so is it a 3 option ?
ring gear spacer
3.73s to fit a 2 series carrier
new carrier

or is it a 2 option ?
ring gear spacer AND 3.73s to fit a 2 series carrier
new carrier

i'm looking to go from 2.73s to 3.42s

Last edited by gavspurplez; 04-24-2011 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added more to post
Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justin hover
Ordered mine from the ws6 store 10 day's ago and the gear instalation will be done today...can't wait...sam as you 2:73 to 3:73.

motive series 2 3:73s
deluxe/master install kit (everthing that you need) so get it
differential fluid
2 quarts gear oil
it was 367$
The install is 300$ (shop around...I was first quoted 600$ and almost went with it)
tune for the speedo 50$ so 7-750$ total for mine...not to bad

I pick up the car today with this shitty michigan ice storm we just got...fking great day for new gears and ice..but back to storage.
$750 that you could have put towards a s60, 12bolt , 9inch.

Quick Reply: 2.73 to 3.73