Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

odd vibration...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd vibration...

I've got a vibration in my car at higher speeds. like 70-80ish. I have had the tires ballanced twice so im thinking that that cant be the problem. I also remembered that my buddies 97 T/A has a vibration from the stock DS(was common from what i hear) could this be the problem that i am facing? The vibration doesnt stop when I depress the clutch so im sure its not an out of whack clutch, but ill know for sure next weekend after the spec 3 goes in. I know its not the brakes wither because it doesnt get worse when i press the pedal. Only other possibilty is the rear end which does have a minor leak but isnt making any noise..... anyone have a problem like this out of their fbod?
Thanks

btw car is 00 SS only has 33k miles on it
Scott
Old 02-16-2004, 09:38 PM
wrencher

Yep I'd be checking the universals first.
The trans mount too, dont have any mods like a torque arm do ya?(seeing it not in your sig)
Old 02-17-2004, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Naw, no TA atm. waiting for the 12-bolt before i buy a TA.... ll be installing my clutch prolly this weekend. It will be on a lift so ill just have to check em out while im under there.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Now this is just something that I saw on Horsepower TV.
The blonde, skinny dude was talking about brake rotors being out of balance. I don't know if this could be felt, but it makes some sense.

I take no credit if this helps you or not. In fact I was reluctant to post it considering the source of information. LOL

Tony
Old 02-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PSU_Engineer
Now this is just something that I saw on Horsepower TV.
The blonde, skinny dude was talking about brake rotors being out of balance. I don't know if this could be felt, but it makes some sense.

I take no credit if this helps you or not. In fact I was reluctant to post it considering the source of information. LOL

Tony
hahaha i SOOOOO know how you feel. ill start to type out a post and then <backspace> for bout 15 seconds. If the problem doesnt got worse by the time i buy a new brake setup,Ill find out then.
thanks
S
Old 02-18-2004, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

The vibration at 80-85 mph is a harmonic in the chassis from the front control arm pick-ups on the chassis, imo. It isn't from the rear because it happens in several gears but always at that speed. It is there with new or old rotors. It is there with aluminum bushing front lower control arms, but it doesn't build up so much in intensity like it did with the previous 1LE front lower control arms. So, I concluded it is an inherent chassis harmonic resulting from the perpendicular orientaion on the front lower control arms, and from the distance they are spaced.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:46 AM
Launching!

You know that actually sound like that might be the problem.. cause it does only happen at that around that speed and the more gas i give it the harger the vibration... wonder if tubular a arms upper and lower with some new rotors would fix the problem??
S