Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
Sponsored by
JawsGear

Need Opinions

Old 03-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Teching In

Trader Rating: 2
Default Need Opinions

I have a Moser 12 bolt that I've had in my car for years has about 25,000 miles on it. Has had gears replaced. Anyways pulled it apart, because it was making a lot more noise than normal. What I found was that the inner race of the bearing on the carrier turns when you turn the bearing cage. So at this point I'm thinking I'm gonna have to replace the carrier which is an Eaton Posi. The car is an M6 and supercharged putting down approx. 550hp. And probably will only see a few trips to the track. My question is should I just get another Eaton or something else?
Firewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Trader Rating: 26

We offer a Wavetrac, Eaton, or US Gear diff for the 12 bolt rearends, but the problem of the bearing spinning on the diff needs to be addressed.
First, you need to make sure the caps are installed on the correct side. There should be a marking on the cap and the housing to be sure they go back where they came from when the housing was machined. If the caps are inmstalled wrong it will put the bearing bores out of alignment and possibly cause the issue you have. Then when you go to replace the diff unit, be sure to use both new bearing and races and apply some Loctite to the mating surfaces.
Strange-Yukon-Moser-AFCO-Procharger-Billet Speciaties- PST shafts, Percy's Speedglass, Viking Shocks, Menscer Motorsports
Full-equipped chassis shop...bolt-ins to complete customs.
ssvert99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Teching In

Trader Rating: 2

Thanks for the info. When the gears were done I wasn't present so I don't know if the bearing was spinning then or if the caps were put back in the right place. I just assumed they were I see what that gets me.
Firewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
TECH Addict

Trader Rating: 3

Not that I'm recommending this,but back in the 60s' & 70s',I would use Loctite 'Bearing Mount' to be able to re-use all the existing parts when money/funds were not available to actually replace parts.Never had a recurring problem with an assembly repaired in this manner. Race ID and carrier journal were cleaned with lacquer thinner and rough surfaces were left as is,the bearing mount compound filled the existing gap and hardened.
I used it at an industrial job and since it worked so well,I started using it for automotive use.
Black 98Z A4 Yank SS3600 convertor,TCI deep pan,3.23s' w/Auburn posi:SLP driveshaft loop,STB,PHB,LCAs,'flow-pac CAI,SFC,take-off 17x9 SS rims;StainlessWorks 'Y' & chambered exhaust,BMR LCA Relos,Kenny Brown 6 Pt bolt-in cage,VGX pads-front,Strano road race pads-rear
Mods un-modded,4.56s' w/Eaton posi,QA1 Dble Adj rear shocks
2009 Yamaha FZ6
2009 Chevrolet Cobalt 1LT/2LT
FirstYrLS1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
550hp, eaton, posi