Moser 9" break in? - LS1TECH

Log In 


Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" break in?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
On The Tree
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
burnout346's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Longview, Texas
Posts: 128
Default Moser 9" break in?

What's the correct way to break in my Moser 9"? It has a spool. I was told 3 heat cycles, but my tuner is saying 500 miles.
burnout346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
LS1Tech Sponsor
iTrader: (16)
 
Bob@BruteSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Roanoke, IN
Posts: 20,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout346 View Post
What's the correct way to break in my Moser 9"? It has a spool. I was told 3 heat cycles, but my tuner is saying 500 miles.
Both! I'd run it at idle for three to five 10 minute heat cycles with the back end up in the air, then take it easy on it for 500 miles. Bob
Bob@BruteSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
On The Tree
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
burnout346's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Longview, Texas
Posts: 128
Default

Thanks Bob!
burnout346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
On The Tree
iTrader: (3)
 
dlross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Uniontown, PA
Posts: 126
Default

yea i didthe same thing but i was told to change the fluid after the 500miles
dlross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
11 Second Club
iTrader: (5)
 
CamaroZ28_LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 395
Default

I have done a few runs on it under the 500 miles period. No stand still launches on it though. That will happen at the track of course. I think I may have a little over 200 miles on it now. No issues.
CamaroZ28_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
On The Tree
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
burnout346's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Longview, Texas
Posts: 128
Default

It's being driven easy. I don't have a WOT tune yet. I've gotta break in the rear end before I can finish my dyno tune!
burnout346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
TECH Apprentice
 
kilrbecars1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 330
Default

How are you supposed to break in a rear end, if you dont put 500 miles on it? I would say put some heat in it a couple times and then test it. These are supposed to be performance parts, aren't we replacing breakable parts. I just purchased a rear end from Bob at Brute, I hope he isn't banking on me putting 500 miles on this rear end. I have had this car for 3 years and still dont have 500 miles on it. This is my toy not my family Ford Fusion! This bitch better hold next week!
kilrbecars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
LS1Tech Sponsor
iTrader: (16)
 
Bob@BruteSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Roanoke, IN
Posts: 20,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilrbecars1 View Post
How are you supposed to break in a rear end, if you dont put 500 miles on it? I would say put some heat in it a couple times and then test it. These are supposed to be performance parts, aren't we replacing breakable parts. I just purchased a rear end from Bob at Brute, I hope he isn't banking on me putting 500 miles on this rear end. I have had this car for 3 years and still dont have 500 miles on it. This is my toy not my family Ford Fusion! This bitch better hold next week!
The 500 miles is to make the gears as quiet as possible. With that said, most people can't hold back for 500 miles, and I understand that. Bob
Bob@BruteSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
LS1Tech Sponsor
iTrader: (16)
 
Bob@BruteSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Roanoke, IN
Posts: 20,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout346 View Post
It's being driven easy. I don't have a WOT tune yet. I've gotta break in the rear end before I can finish my dyno tune!
You can do the dyno tune, going wide open throttle on the dyno isn't going to affect the gears. Launching the car is what you want to try to stay away from, if at all possible. Bob
Bob@BruteSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
TECH Apprentice
 
kilrbecars1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed View Post
The 500 miles is to make the gears as quiet as possible. With that said, most people can't hold back for 500 miles, and I understand that. Bob
I'm sure I will put some miles on it before going crazy, I also know who built my new rear end. If you want a rear end you can go crazy on, buy from Bob brother!
kilrbecars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 554
Default

Im gonna install my third member on the trailor at the track and pull it right in the lanes for some wheels up action! Lol.
Oldsmobility85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
11 Second Club
iTrader: (5)
 
CamaroZ28_LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 395
Default

My gears are still quiet!
CamaroZ28_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
Teching In
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Norwalk, Iowa
Posts: 10
Default

So I just got my Moser 9" in... and I'm doing the break in process of 3 heat cycles then the 500mi taking it easy. When is it recommended to change the rear end fluid? After the 3 heat cycles then after 500mi... or just after 500mi?
Sievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
LS1Tech Sponsor
iTrader: (16)
 
Bob@BruteSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Roanoke, IN
Posts: 20,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sievers View Post
So I just got my Moser 9" in... and I'm doing the break in process of 3 heat cycles then the 500mi taking it easy. When is it recommended to change the rear end fluid? After the 3 heat cycles then after 500mi... or just after 500mi?
You don't have to change the gear oil if you don't want to. If you were to do it I would wait until the 500 mile mark. Bob
Bob@BruteSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
Teching In
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Norwalk, Iowa
Posts: 10
Default

Thanks again for the info!!!
Sievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moser Prices at Brute Speed! Bob@BruteSpeed Sponsor Sales & Specials 7 10-05-2014 08:53 AM
moser 9? frdassn5 Generation IV Internal Engine 2 08-11-2014 03:51 PM
Moser 9in black and pink z28 Parts Classifieds 3 07-09-2014 08:29 PM
new tranny and rear end break in?? lbm13186 Forced Induction 3 04-30-2014 12:10 AM


Tags
9, break, breaking, end, ends, heat, inch, ls1, ls1tech, moser, period, procedure, rear, spool, tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.