Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

MIdwest chassis rearend install

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIdwest chassis rearend install

I'm in the process of installing my new third member in and I'm having a hell of a time trying to install the torque arm. Any tips or advice? I installed the rearend first and now am trying to put the torque arm on. I keep adjusting the bottom and top rear adjustments, but I don't want to back them out too much that they don't have enough still in the tube to prevent them from stripping out or snapping. Basically the problem if you haven't figured it out is getting both the top & bottom bolts through the rearend and torque arm. Also it seems like the factory brake seems to get in the way, anyone have that problem?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone have pics of the brake lines installed on the rearend before installing it on the car?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ABJ88
I'm in the process of installing my new third member in and I'm having a hell of a time trying to install the torque arm. Any tips or advice? I installed the rearend first and now am trying to put the torque arm on. I keep adjusting the bottom and top rear adjustments, but I don't want to back them out too much that they don't have enough still in the tube to prevent them from stripping out or snapping. Basically the problem if you haven't figured it out is getting both the top & bottom bolts through the rearend and torque arm. Also it seems like the factory brake seems to get in the way, anyone have that problem?
I had a little trouble but not that much. It sounds like youre gonna have to pry the top of the axle housing toward the front of the car, its the rear springs that puts pressure on the housing.

Originally Posted by ABJ88
Anyone have pics of the brake lines installed on the rearend before installing it on the car?
I only have a few but its important to know what center section stud to bolt the brake line bracket to. You can see this in one of my pics.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:59 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=flintwrench69;14935578]I had a little trouble but not that much. It sounds like youre gonna have to pry the top of the axle housing toward the front of the car, its the rear springs that puts pressure on the housing.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the pics and help. If I could bug you again I'd appreciate it. I have the TA on now, but now how do I adjust it, theres quite a bit of settings/slots on the trans brace? How tight should I tighten the bushing bolt on the brace, obviously there's going to be some movement?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give me a call I am more than happy to help you with any questions. (309)382-6252 We can go over your particular combination and get you a good starting point.

Quick Reply: MIdwest chassis rearend install