Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My 8.8, Teaser Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 8.8, Teaser Pics

I will have all of the parts here on Wednesday, then my brother is rebuilding the trac lok, and a friend of mine will be setting up my gears soon I hope. Also waiting on my watts link from MWC, hopefully it will be here this week

Build is as follows....
Fox Housing
SN95 31 Spline Axles (Alloy USA)
Ford Racing Cobra Brake Kit
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears
Used Ford 31 Spline Trac Lok
Ford Racing Cobra Trac Lok Rebuild Kit (carbon clutches)
Motive Gear Install Kit
UPR Diff Cover
Moser LCA Brackets/Shock Mounts
Firestone Lower Air Bag Mounts

I still need to sand blast the housing, paint it, and fab my 4 link. But heres some crappy cell phone pics of my progress so far.

And my corner of parts

Also have my wheels. Still need to order tires, K member, upper and lower arms, headers, new parts for exhaust, and plumbing to replace my rusty fuel system. Theres probably a few other things, but thats the start of it.

Let me know what you think
Old 02-28-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Since you're using a watts link, i'm guessing this will be a parallel four link?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Since you're using a watts link, i'm guessing this will be a parallel four link?
Yes, parallel it is

Got my misalignment spacers today for the heims, just need to get 4 more, I ordered spacers for 3/4" bolts and they are huge, I'd rather run smaller hardware, 3/4" bolts are overkill IMO
Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Exclamation

I hear the 8.8 is a match for the 9" is this true?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8.8's are at Least in the 7's in the 1/4!! They take less power to turn and are much lighter than a standard 9". That's why most nmca guys run them. Oh, and they're cheaper to boot so they're really hard to beat. If a sponsor was making them i would have been ALL OVER ONE!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about you guys but all this ford racing stuff is enough to make me sick. LOL. Looks good. Seriously though how come you didn't just order axles for your application and run all the stock brake components and wheels?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85
I don't know about you guys but all this ford racing stuff is enough to make me sick. LOL. Looks good. Seriously though how come you didn't just order axles for your application and run all the stock brake components and wheels?
Thats a good question....

But to be honest it was just a little easier to order the cobra brake kit and then bolt it on. I'm going to be using wheel adapters for a little while then I'll be ordering wheels with custom offsets since the rear is 4" narrower than the stock rear end. And it would have cost quite a bit more money to cut the axle tubes and weld on the stock 10 bolt tubes in a jig and then get custom axles. Right now with the axle almost complete I think I came in just under $1200 and that includes the brakes and the parts to build my upper 4 link bars, not too shabby if you ask me. And it should be damn near bullet proof for my current setup and what I have planned in the future.

Then getting the dropped LCA brackets from moser and the new shock mounts made setting up the axle a snap, and I have as much in this setup as I would have in a set of drop brackets for the stock 10 bolt.

BTW when the man in brown dropped the boxes off on my porch I was pissed LOL I was hoping the ford boxes would be covered up in bigger brown ones, but nope, had to leave them in plain site so all of the neighbors would see

This weekend I'm going to sand blast the entire axle and then get it painted before I take it to get the gears setup, but it should be in its new home in a couple weeks. I still have to plumb my fuel system, but thats just ordering the parts and me not being lazy haha
Old 03-01-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ford rears are great it is just the engines that SUX! LOL!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by N2OBaby
Ford rears are great it is just the engines that SUX! LOL!
True dat LOL

I was browsing the mustang forums getting info on building an 8.8 and I'm surprised how weak the 4.6 motors are. Lots of vortec supercharged guys making 330-370 rwhp with lots of other mods, pretty sad a bolt on lt1 car will make that without a problem and cam only LS cars are putting down ~400

Pushrods = FTMFW
Old 03-01-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

I owned a Mercury Grand Marquis and no matter what Ya do a 281 CID 2V engine will never be happy carting 4000+ LBs and 260 LBs of driver.

Is it true the 8.8 has a 3.90 gear set available?

Last edited by N2OBaby; 03-01-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Needed to ask a question
Old 03-01-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have some type of fixture to check to make sure the rear is still straight after welding those brackets on?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by foggedz
Do you have some type of fixture to check to make sure the rear is still straight after welding those brackets on?
No I do not, I don't think I warped the axles by welding on the brackets though.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You would be supprised. The tubes actually move alot when you weld on them. If not done correctly the weld that holds them LCA brackets on could pull the tube probably .050.

A friend of mine just added some brakets to a strange 9in housing. We put a dial indicator on the end of the axle tube when welding, and you could definatly see that the tube was moving.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by foggedz
You would be supprised. The tubes actually move alot when you weld on them. If not done correctly the weld that holds them LCA brackets on could pull the tube probably .050.

A friend of mine just added some brakets to a strange 9in housing. We put a dial indicator on the end of the axle tube when welding, and you could definatly see that the tube was moving.
I guess I'll find out if I start chewing up bearings or gears. But honestly I'm not extremely worried about it

Got my diff cover, motive gear install kit, and trac lok rebuild today, turns out the diff cover is not a UPR, but a Drake, either way it looks like a nice piece. Pretty heavy and the hardware looks good, it will sure make that old rear axle look better.

I'll get some better pics this weekend with my camera instead of my shitty phone. But more and more parts keep rolling in, sway bars are being ordered Friday and then the light at the end of the tunnel will get just a little brighter
Old 03-02-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Too much heat in one area for an extended time will cause the problem... My friend that's been welding forever and a day welded half of one tube then moved to the other axle tube did half there then switched back.
The key is to have equal heat distribution!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
Too much heat in one area for an extended time will cause the problem... My friend that's been welding forever and a day welded half of one tube then moved to the other axle tube did half there then switched back.
The key is to have equal heat distribution!
Yup I know, thats exactly what I did. I've been welding for about 7 years and I'm by no means a professional but I understand the basics.

Thanks for the heads up though
Old 03-03-2011, 02:38 AM
TECH Addict

Well sways are on backorder until the end of the month sooooooo......I pulled the trigger on a UMI k member, new front wheel studs, and 1/4" spacers for the front wheels

I'm stoked
Old 03-03-2011, 03:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn!! Ballin! Lol. My parts for my third member should be here today. Im definately excited!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85
Damn!! Ballin! Lol. My parts for my third member should be here today. Im definately excited!
HAHA I wish I was ballin, I just got 2 of my loans paid off and me and my wife have been working 50-60 hour weeks to get this project done, then I have to start working on my house again. Its a never ending battle between my car and the house LOL

Its always fun getting parts, always puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day
Old 03-03-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
HAHA I wish I was ballin, I just got 2 of my loans paid off and me and my wife have been working 50-60 hour weeks to get this project done, then I have to start working on my house again. Its a never ending battle between my car and the house LOL

Its always fun getting parts, always puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day
I am even worse off I don't have a wife to help me and I haven't started with a project yet.

Will be buying another house soon to dump $$$$$ into. OUCH!

Last edited by N2OBaby; 03-03-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Flip is a 4 letter word.