Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

No P-brake, if you narow your rear 3"

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No P-brake, if you narow your rear 3"

I took 3" off each side of the housing. I thought I was going to be able to use the P-brake. After messing with putting it together, I discovered that the bracket that holds the P-brake cable & the regular brake line, is too long outwards. It was into the shield, & the front looked like the cable would have gotten hung up. So out with the cutter & cut that end off the bracket, So I was still able to retain & bolt that bracket up to the LCA, for the use of regular brakes. Probably would have been find iff I would have taken 2.5" off.

Car is an auto, so not a huge deal. I should drop a few lbs by eliminating that. Just a heads up for anyone thinking about narowing the rear.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black Sunshine/ 00SS
I took 3" off each side of the housing. I thought I was going to be able to use the P-brake. After messing with putting it together, I discovered that the bracket that holds the P-brake cable & the regular brake line, is too long outwards. It was into the shield, & the front looked like the cable would have gotten hung up. So out with the cutter & cut that end off the bracket, So I was still able to retain & bolt that bracket up to the LCA, for the use of regular brakes. Probably would have been find iff I would have taken 2.5" off.

Car is an auto, so not a huge deal. I should drop a few lbs by eliminating that. Just a heads up for anyone thinking about narowing the rear.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-29-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any pics of housing, or it mouned in the car? What wheels are you going with? Thanks, Shawn
Old 02-29-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What size tires areyou runningto need it narrowed three inches?

later,
Bart

Last edited by Speedfreaks101; 02-29-2004 at 03:16 PM. Reason: To correct my hick grammer
Old 03-03-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

http://community.webshots.com/user/hotrodharry03

Some pics are available in there. I'll have to get a close up of the bracket that I cut off, the ones in there dont show that specifically.

I'll eventually go with a 4" BS rim, and fit the biggest tire (widest) on there I can. The reason for going with 3" is because that was the max that I could take off and still retain stock mounting points. I lost alot of weight by taking off 3". Rotating mass on top of it. I was going for that along with the look of a 5" or 4" BS rim.