Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Midwest Fabbed 9 with Kooks True Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Eric said....the rear end isn't the issue. We're trying to fit duals designed for a 10 bolt. For me, the pipes leading to the axle were a little long in order to clear it.

Simple solution: cut the pipes.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Like Eric said....the rear end isn't the issue. We're trying to fit duals designed for a 10 bolt. For me, the pipes leading to the axle were a little long in order to clear it.

Simple solution: cut the pipes.
Understood and thank you for the response. A little cutting is no big deal. Which joint did you make your cuts and how much? I'll try adjusting with lcas first but not sure how that will throw off suspension geometry.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's posted with pictures above. 1/4 inch off the over axle pipes on both ends
Old 01-27-2014, 08:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

It is a very tight fit with the braces. I think LPE403 does not have the braces if memory serves correct.

The brace is a bigger issue. Mine is installed, but has about 1" of clearance with the axle hanging. I did leave the factory heat shields on though. That is next.

I have to pull the rear pipe and pull the heat shields and put on the stick on heat shield to make more room, and do the mid pipe cuts to move them back a little. I think I will have my fab shop cut out part of the brace and cap it. The joys of bolt on custom parts put together, they only fit with stock parts, but we typically never have stock parts on the car anymore at this level of performance parts.

It just takes time and money.

In my case to much time.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
It is a very tight fit with the braces. I think LPE403 does not have the braces if memory serves correct.

The brace is a bigger issue. Mine is installed, but has about 1" of clearance with the axle hanging. I did leave the factory heat shields on though. That is next.

I have to pull the rear pipe and pull the heat shields and put on the stick on heat shield to make more room, and do the mid pipe cuts to move them back a little. I think I will have my fab shop cut out part of the brace and cap it. The joys of bolt on custom parts put together, they only fit with stock parts, but we typically never have stock parts on the car anymore at this level of performance parts.

It just takes time and money.

In my case to much time.
Might be a stupid question but what braces are you referring to? I think I'm going to remove the factory heat shields as well... I get occasional contact from the pipes to the shield and the noise it makes is absolutely terrible.

Sounds like it's going to take some patience to get the right clearances everywhere but with strano springs I'm already kind of used to it.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

With the housing brace/gusset.

No housing brace/Gusset.

Mine just for fun also has the Watts link.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Confusion in terms here....

The area circled is really the "backbrace"...can't speak to it as I don't have one - second pic is mine, btw . Gussets from the top of the housing to the axle tubes is where I rubbed.

Also removed the stock heat shields in place of an adhesive thermal shield adhered directly to the tank. Gets hot back there....don't ask

Old 01-18-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bumping this. Any new updates and/or issues?
Old 01-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by _JB_
Bumping this. Any new updates and/or issues?
I'll be installing a fab 9 by late summer, I'll post up any issues I run into.

Quick Reply: Midwest Fabbed 9 with Kooks True Duals?