Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone think my rear end is going out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone think my rear end is going out?

I just had my transmission rebuilt a couple of weeks ago and after getting it rebuilt I noticed the steering wheel had a little shutter to it under really light throttle 5%-25%, and then goes away at 50%-75% throttle. Some days it does it, and some days it doesn't. I took it back to the transmission shop and they said that it didn't have anything to do with the transmission, but it wouldn't hurt to change the rear diff fluid. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i didnt read your post but if its a ten bolt yes its going out lol,explain shutter,is there any noise coming from the rear, does it whine at all,
Old 08-23-2011, 02:33 AM
Staging Lane

I did, read the post lol. Or at least the first little bit. The steering wheel has a bit of shake to it under light throttle in first gear, and the chassis has a bit of shake on the interstate. Could it be the motor mounts?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I replaced my motor mounts I had a bit of shutter, and using an Energy Suspension (funny, because there was just chat of this today on which manufacturer motor mount was best) it really smoothed out.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah the car has about 164,000 miles on it, probably time to replace them. I take it that this isn't something I can do at home is it? Seeing as how I would have to hoist the engine up to replace the mounts.