Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End Questions and definitions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Rear End Questions and definitions

I need to get a new rear end for my 1998 Z28 - the old 10 bolt was bent in an accident. I figure there is no point to replace with a pinion seal leaking 10 bolt again. That being said, I'm in the market for a new rear end. There are some things that I don't know about.

Specifically in the Moser 12 bolt stuff, what is the difference between the 1350 and the 1310 pinion yoke?

What are exciter rings? They charge $100 to install through Moser

What's the point of a 'performance rearend cover"?

What would a 33 spline posi vs 30 spline buy me?

What is a c-clip axle?

basically I want to take out my 10 bolt, plop in the 12 bolt and put the stock brakes from the 10 bolt on there. I know I need the 4 channel ABS/TCS setup on the rear end. Do I need anything else?

I'm thinking 3.73 gears with the Eaton Posi.

Help is appreciated!!!

Thanks,

-Dan
Old 03-04-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. A 1350 yoke is about double the size of a standard 1310 as far as the mass is concerned. The 1350 yoke is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay stronger.
2. Exciter rings are for your abs system. They look like gears that have been pressed on the axles. What they do is, your ABS has a little magnetic pickup that rides close to this exciter gear. As it spins, it generates a tiny electrical charge that tells the PCM how fast that wheel is spinning.
3. Forget the performance cover. It does look a lot better than a plain cover though.
4. Spline count is a relative term. A chevy 33 spline axle is larger in diameter than the 30 spline, hence, it's stronger.
5. A c-clip axle si what comes standard in almost every car and truck rear. Your axles are held in place side to side, by a small clip.
6. Pretty much just a swap and go replacement. You have it covered.