Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

need help: 12 bolt ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help: 12 bolt ?'s

i have a friend with a 98 LS1 A4 with hooker LT's, SLP Y, cutout, and a 3200 stall and he's looking to get a 12 bolt w/posi and 3.73's next month. what brand do you think he should go with? is there a difference between the brands? it's his dd and will see occasional track use.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recomend Strange. Drops right in, and comes pre built. They have great customer support and stand behind their product. I had a problem with mine after the install and they paid to have it fixed(They were on back order for gears, and someone had put GM Motive gears in mine and shipped it. It ate them). Its been fine ever since.
DL
Old 03-05-2004, 07:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Strange(3.73's,33 spline axles,1350 yoke)and it pretty much dropped right in. A little paint,swapped the sway bar brackets from the 10 bolt, a couple zip ties, and splicing the abs was about all I had to do to it. I got mine with new backing plates already installed so I didn't have to send Strange the ones from my 10 bolt.

One thing I had to do was grind the mounting bracket on my RT torque arm a little. The stock one might fit alright though. Also the sway bar did rub a little on the bottom of the LPW rear cover right by letters. It has since worn a small spot off the letters but that really doesn't bother me.

Other than that zero problems.