Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

axel bearing sleeve stuck in housing

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default axel bearing sleeve stuck in housing

i was replacing one of the axel bearings in my 01 TA and autozone gave me a bearing that was encased in a sleeve (with out my knowledge). in theory this was suposed to move the bearings incase the axel has wear on it. i didn't know it and tried to install it. the new assembly wouln't go in all the way. about 1/8 of an inch out. i tried to install the axel and it was getting stuck. it would still spin but took some force to get back out. i assume its stuck on the new bearings. i had the other axel out and tried it, same thing. so this new unit doesn't fit. i try the bearing puller to take it out. ripping out all the bearing but not the sleave. the sleeve is basically up against a lip that was machined out for the bearings and i can't get it out. any suggestion?

i tried heat from a small toarch on the housing.
the bearing puller i have is one with a slap hammer. an oval slips threw the bearing then folds perpendicular, tightens, then you pull. but the ovals arent the right size, barely too big or barely too small.
i also tried to arrange a spider style three-claw puller on the inside with no luck. its like there isn't enough lip to grab.
my next attempt with involve air-chissling the end enough to hand chissle the sleeve.

any suggestions? i feel like the sleeve is made of a tough steal...
Old 09-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i had the exact thing happen to me, if you have a welder weld a bead around the inside of the sleeve that will actually shrink the sleeve then you have some more meat to put the puller on. did this using a $100 harbor freight welder and it came right out.

REPAIR BEARING DONT WORK!!

-matt