Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

A 2 piece driveshaft,,, really? need some help on this one

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A 2 piece driveshaft,,, really? need some help on this one

the car is a 96 v6 firebird. was a auto, and the gf wanted a 5 speed. so i swapped it over to manual,and have no problems , But now it eats up tranny mounts. the car came with a split two piece driveshaft, which ive never seen a fbody car have. so i just put a one piece in it instead. could this be my reason for it breaking so many tranny mounts, or would it even matter? do fbody cars even come with two piece driveshafts? please fell me in
Old 10-02-2011, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

I had a '95 Camaro v6 auto that was all stock and had a 2 piece drive shaft. Around 190,000 miles one of the bearing was going bad and my mechanic recommended replacing it with a 1 piece aluminum drive shaft. I ended up selling the car with 194,000 miles on it so I never did do the swap.

As long as the drive shaft length is correct, I don't think it would cause you to break the tranny mounts. I could be wrong, though. I just remember the driveshaft swap being fairly straight forward when I was considering it.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Launching!

thats what i though, and found out on my search before i did the swap, im sure its a different issue
Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Before I swapped to the LS1 I had a 97 V6 5speed. I think you already found this out, but the 2 piece DS is normal for the V6's.
How're the motor mounts in the car? Also, how does she drive the car? The M5 will put more stress on the mount as opposed to the auto, so that may be part of the problem. And IIRC the 2 piece DS had some sort of damnper or vibration thing on it. I would tink the 1 piece transmits more force to the tranny when under heavy acceleration.
If the motor mounts are worn it would cause abnormal stress on the tranny mount, and combined with the other factors that could have an impact.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Teching In

That's correct. IIRC most 99- v6 cars use the 2 piece. far as the swap just yank the junk 2 piece bearing and shaft out and stick in the one piece! same spline and u joints are the same. technically the ls1 one piece is 1'' shorter but still has plenty of spline contact. It's been done in the v6 community a lot. and you will pick up a little power because less drivetrain loss.

far as the trans mount goes anytime I drove my car remotely hard it broke easy fix for it too. get yourself an GM poly trans mount from energy suspension you will have the slot the holes just a tad but works magnificently. and if she doesn't like the slightly added vibration of the poly mount stack a few sway bar link bushings between the bolts and it will feel like a stock one.

hope this helps
Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

What lolol , really sway bar bushings lol wow dude holy cob job
Old 10-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Teching In

If you seen the poly mount you would know what I'm talking about, they are a 2 piece unit and has a flat plate mated up to the main mount all held together with the mounting bolts. The rubber end link bushings will dampen the vibrations if placed between the plate and main mount... Say what you want but it works
Old 10-08-2011, 08:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The factory torque arm front mount location places a lot of stress on the transmission, and broken transmission mount are very common as a result. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
The factory torque arm front mount location places a lot of stress on the transmission, and broken transmission mount are very common as a result. Bob
Translation: buy a torque arm relocation mount
Old 10-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Launching!

We make a single shaft replacement for anyone thats looking

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domest...el-replacement

Quick Reply: A 2 piece driveshaft,,, really? need some help on this one