Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Gears & Axles
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Gears & Axles
Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
Sponsored by
JawsGear

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
12 Second Club
2001 Pontiac Trans Am
My Garage

Trader Rating: 41
Smile 10 bolt C-Clip question - Help

All I have done to stock 10 bolt is gear swap (3.73) I am about to upgrade to 3200 stall or so and my question is do I have to worry about the C-clips giving away, breaking, etc ? I know they make c-clip eliminators but not sure I wanna invest - any advice? Have their been issues with these or am I good? Thanks!
Lid/K&N: V-Force:TB Bypass:FRA: P-TB:3.73's: Heads/Cam : LCA Relo Brackets: air กก: HD LS2 Timing Chain:24k GVW B&M Trans cooler: LT Headers w 3" OR-Y: Poly MM: LS6 ported oil pump:KYB shocks:New Calipers-Blue: Drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramic pads:Aluminum DS w safety loop: TR55 plugs w/8.5mm wires:UMI TA relo Cross member: UMI non-adj TA: CAT SFI Flexplate: SFC: Stage II 4l60e: Yank SS3200: Catch can: Frost Tune
projectX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
I need a gauge for that
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 35

Ive heard far more stories of c-clip eliminators giving people problems than I have of c clips breaking.
Atomic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
12 Second Club
2001 Pontiac Trans Am
My Garage

Trader Rating: 41

Someone brought to my attention if it broke I would be in some trouble so was just curious.
Lid/K&N: V-Force:TB Bypass:FRA: P-TB:3.73's: Heads/Cam : LCA Relo Brackets: air กก: HD LS2 Timing Chain:24k GVW B&M Trans cooler: LT Headers w 3" OR-Y: Poly MM: LS6 ported oil pump:KYB shocks:New Calipers-Blue: Drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramic pads:Aluminum DS w safety loop: TR55 plugs w/8.5mm wires:UMI TA relo Cross member: UMI non-adj TA: CAT SFI Flexplate: SFC: Stage II 4l60e: Yank SS3200: Catch can: Frost Tune
projectX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 8

I do not think you should worry about the "c" breaking
I think the reason for c-clip eliminators is to retaine the axle
within the housing in case you break an axle ( the axle is xxx times likely to break before the ""c")
Johnny
Y2K SS (SLP #239)
Black , T-tops, A4, NA, Race weigh 3747#
Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
& NOTHING else ------is stock
"NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car,my best time is not in the 12's- any more"
I am NOT soliciting as I have retired
>>align info: http://www.jgruggles.com
SS SLP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 17
Send a message via AIM to Pocket

If eliminators are not required by the racing class you're in, keep the C-clips. For a 10 bolt you'll never reach that class

BTW, disk brakes act as a positive axle retention device in case of major failure
Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 87

Yep, don't worry so much, it will be fine.

01 SS Rally Red A4 #4987, 04 Yukon XL Denali, 99 Cadillac STS-SOLD
01ssreda4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Launching!
1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 3

My c-clip fell out when I was turning into a Wendy's drive-through... I was coming up to the intercom and suddenly heard this wicked grinding noise from the rear. I immediately stopped. When I got out and saw my left rear tire 8" out from where it should be I thought "that sucks..."

The c-clip didn't break, it was the lip of the axle that broke, thereby allowing enough "wiggle room" for the c-clip to fall out. The stock axles seem to have a lot of back and ofrth play in them, and I think that's why the lip ended up breaking. I bought a new pair of axles from JEGS and the problem was solved. Now I have a S60 though, so I don't have to worry about that

CAI, LS6 Intake, LTs & 4.10's, UMI 3-point subframe connecters, LCAs, S60, PHB, TA
1/4: 12.85 @105.39 on BF Goodrich Radial T/A 295/50/16 street tires
runtwrestlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 17
Send a message via AIM to VinR1

what happened to the brake on that side? ...did you not have the retention pin in the center of the differential?
VinR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
TECH Senior Member
1999 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage

Trader Rating: 10
Send a message via AIM to SparkyJJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtwrestlin View Post
My c-clip fell out when I was turning into a Wendy's drive-through... I was coming up to the intercom and suddenly heard this wicked grinding noise from the rear. I immediately stopped. When I got out and saw my left rear tire 8" out from where it should be I thought "that sucks..."

The c-clip didn't break, it was the lip of the axle that broke, thereby allowing enough "wiggle room" for the c-clip to fall out. The stock axles seem to have a lot of back and ofrth play in them, and I think that's why the lip ended up breaking. I bought a new pair of axles from JEGS and the problem was solved. Now I have a S60 though, so I don't have to worry about that
How the heck did your wheel pull out that far? Your brake disc should have kept that from happening
Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
10, 12, axle, bolt, cclip, clip, clips, corp, drag, eleminator, eliminator, installation, radials, retention, truck