Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pinion depth help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default pinion depth help

Can someone please tell me what the correct pinion depth/checking distance is for installing AAM 4.10's into my 10 bolt. I see a lot of people using the stock shim, that's why all of these rears still make noise. Any "real" answer would be helpful as the gears don't have the checking distance number marked on them. Might as well tell me the correct backlash also my guess is about .007. Any help would be great
Old 10-20-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know how much help I can give but I just installed a Summit 4.10 in a 10 bolt.

I was told by a reputable shop that an .031 pinion shim usually works with these cars. Of course not mine. I ended up with a .041 pinion shim with .005 backlash. The drive pattern is slightly towards the inside of the ring but centered from top to bottom. I believe as this breaks in the backlash will loosen slightly and it is a t56 car so you usually run a tighter backlash

Honestly I got sick of pulling it in and out. Oh yes I did use ground out mock up bearings but found these were not exactly the same as the press on ones.

I had to pay someone to press the pinion bearing on and off so this got old quick. Maybe a .039 would have been better but **** it I am rolling with it. If this doesn't work out I will probably pay someone or get a used one from Craiglist or something to get me by.

Good luck.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spicebird98
Can someone please tell me what the correct pinion depth/checking distance is for installing AAM 4.10's into my 10 bolt. I see a lot of people using the stock shim, that's why all of these rears still make noise. Any "real" answer would be helpful as the gears don't have the checking distance number marked on them. Might as well tell me the correct backlash also my guess is about .007. Any help would be great
You have to go by the pattern. Start with the stock shim. AMM gears need tight backlash, .004 is ideal. Get it together, take pictures of your pattern and post it. I will help you best I can.

Your pattern should not have any straight lines in it. As long as you have just a sliver of paint over top your pattern you are good. You do not want it running off the tooth. Here is a set of AAM 4.10's I setup. For reference its .032 pinion shim and .004 backlash.

This is a little too deep, too thick pinion shim, notice the straight line in bottom or root of the tooth

Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

generally a gm will run some where in the 30 range. best place i have found to start is to add .002 to the shim that was underneath the old pinion.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400 miles on my set up so far so good did a few hard launches and it has kept together. No noises no problems.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by spicebird98
I see a lot of people using the stock shim, that's why all of these rears still make noise.
that's a good one. One gearset (that wasn't broken in properly) out of a dozen that I have done have made noise. These rear ends can be set up properly without a pinion setting tool, I know because I have done it.

Quick Reply: pinion depth help