Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

diff welding for GM corprate 14 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff welding for GM corprate 14 bolt

I am really sick of getting stuck in the snow/mud in my company supplied work van. At the moment I am strongly inclined to weld the diff. My only concern is will this cause something else in the diff to break over time? 90% of the trucks usage is on highway with a little bit in the city. When I am in albany for work I end up on seasonal roads or insane driveways in the winter and I am not prepared to walk several miles in 10 deg weather again because this thing is stuck with 1 tire on ice or mud. I just want to make sure that if I weld the spiders there is not something else in the chain that is super weak like snapping a axle or something stupid.

PS the fleet is being replaced by Ford vans next spring

2008 chevy express 4.8L 4L80E big *** rear end.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by somedude
I am really sick of getting stuck in the snow/mud in my company supplied work van. At the moment I am strongly inclined to weld the diff. My only concern is will this cause something else in the diff to break over time? 90% of the trucks usage is on highway with a little bit in the city. When I am in albany for work I end up on seasonal roads or insane driveways in the winter and I am not prepared to walk several miles in 10 deg weather again because this thing is stuck with 1 tire on ice or mud. I just want to make sure that if I weld the spiders there is not something else in the chain that is super weak like snapping a axle or something stupid.

PS the fleet is being replaced by Ford vans next spring

2008 chevy express 4.8L 4L80E big *** rear end.
I'd get a set of chains before I welded the diff. It may be ok, but if that broke you would be way worse off than just a simple tow.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: diff welding for GM corprate 14 bolt