Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Shop Completly rebuilds rear axle, It whines now. Can this be normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop Completly rebuilds rear axle, It whines now. Can this be normal?

Well, I am assuming right off the bat that the new ring and pinion's backlash was improperly adjusted when assembled. So i figure maybe ill just adjust it my self.

Why if a shop did it, would i do it my self? I had it rebuilt by a shop in my parents town Phoenix, AZ. Then I drove it the next day to Ft Hood Texas. So its very very out of the way to use their warranty.

I didn't notice the noise Right away, after like 700-800 miles. And it got Slightly worse over the next 300. That's whats making me want to just go get a quick shim kit like http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...2698rianpiinki and just do it myself.

I had a shop rebuild it to make some Credit rating. soo im not very excited at the idea of, "What if the gears are toasted already"

How fast can the gears be ruined by this?

Should i get my phone out and make a video of the noise for ya'll to hear?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You heat cycle the gears properly before the long trip? I wouldn't have made such a long trip on brand new gears honestly. What all was replaced in the rear end? What kind of gears were used if they were replaced? Is the noise continuing to get worse or has it stabilized? What speeds is it present at?
Old 10-30-2011, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gears were set up wrong. Plain and simple. Shim kit is not going to help you at this point. Pull the cover and look at the ring gear. If it has tiny ridges on the teeth it's ruined. Run your fingernail across the teeth and you'll feel them. I realize this is not what you want to hear, sorry.

Just for information, what kind of shop did the work? Did you call them and tell them what happened?

OT, but: I read all kinds of advice in this section about setting up ring and pinions. Most of it is just wrong. Get a shop manual and read it. It doesn't need to be for a Camaro or even a Chevy. All rear ends are about the same, go to your local library and find a good manual for an Impala, Dodge pickup, Ford whatever, and just read what it says about setting up a ring and pinion. Some have shims, some have adjustable caps and so on but the theory is all the same.

Al 95 Z28
Old 10-30-2011, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with ssred on this, the gears need to be broken in before any extended highway driving or else they will overheat and be ruined. The shop should have given you some guidelines for break in to insure a long life for the ring and pinion, but you can't necessarily blame them for improper set up if the rear made no noise initially.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Yeah - You guys are on point. I cant come up with a better solution then to build it myself if need be.

*What speed?* Basically, parking lot speeds it'll make a little noise. Most accuratly to say how it sounds, Sounds Like running a finger over your teeth after you brushed them. LOL or a clean plate, but not too much high pitch.

Im guessing i just burnt the ring and pinion up on the drive over.
The shop said they did some driving for it and it should have been good. IDK what they did to break it in, i know that you use it for a few then cool it off over and over.

I'm going to take it apart at a friends house. I will take pictures and post it for fun. Maybe someone can get some benefit from this.

Off topic, Anyone think AllData is a good investment? its like 18 bucks for 1 car.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

What brand ring and pinion did they put in it.