Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Disc brakes on V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disc brakes on V6

Short version: will the brake lines on a V6 have to be modified to install disc brakes from a Z28? Any other issues I should know about putting disc brakes on a V6?

The story: The 1995 V6 has drum brakes and 3.23. I have a complete rear end for sale out of my parts car z28 w/2.73. He just wants the disc brakes on his car and wants me to install it for him. He also wants me to install his posi carrier for him while I'm at it.

If we have to swap rear ends, then we would have to change the pinion, which I'm trying to avoid.

I've never seen a V6 rear end, so I don't know how the axles, brakes, etc are set up. I want to do it the easiest way possible, and to me it seems like I should be able to just swap axles and brakes, but will the brake and e-brake lines match up and will the calipers bolt on to a V6 rear end?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Teching In

The 98+ are the same v8 and v6 as far as brakes go... iirc everything is pretty much interchangeable on GM 10 bolt from about 67+ just change from the tube out (backing plate and all) and it should work. not sure about the connections from the wheel cyl to the caliper, you would probably have the change the whole hard line off of yours. There Is no way in hell I'd put that 2.73 in the 3.4 v6 car talk about a slug!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

The donor car is a 95 Z28 with 2.73s. That's why I don't want to swap out the whole rear end, because we would have to put his 3.23s in there and I can't and won't set up a ring and pinion. That's something I leave to the professionals.

The V6 is not mine, it's some guy that wants to buy parts from me and he can't do any of the work himself. I agreed to help him, but without seeing the V6 brake setup I have no clue if it will be plug and play. He'll have to get someone else to do it if it involves swapping brake lines. That's why I need to know. Plus he has to drive 1.5 hours to get here, so I can't just have him drive over for me to look at it.