Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear wheel bearing and seal replacement, do I need a bearing puller?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wheel bearing and seal replacement, do I need a bearing puller?

Hey I'm replacing my rear wheel bearings next week and I've heard from a buddy of mine that the rear axle bearings aren't really pressed in and that I don't need a puller to remove them. Is this true? I doubt it's that easy. I just ordered them and want to make sure I have all the tools I'll need before I get started. Also, I'm hoping these bearings explain the majority of my noise back there but is there anything particular I should be looking for when I look at my ring and pinion gears that are an indication of premature wear and noise? The car has 82K miles but sat for a long time under previous ownership so I'm hoping it's primarily wheel bearings and not the pinion or carrier bearings or the gears themself. And of course I hope the axles aren't toast at this point but I guess I'll find out.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, you need a puller for the axle bearings. You'll need a slide hammer and the proper sized adapter. The new ones will need to be tapped in, you can use a regular seal installation tool. I used the old bearing as a spacer to seat it completely.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Yes, you need a puller for the axle bearings. You'll need a slide hammer and the proper sized adapter. The new ones will need to be tapped in, you can use a regular seal installation tool. I used the old bearing as a spacer to seat it completely.
cool, thanks for answering that one for me.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

The bearings do not fall out, they do have to be pulled, but it is not that tough. You can get inexpensive bearing tool kit at harbor freight (keep the chinese fed). A seal puller is cheap and makes the job easier. My right rear axle had wear on it at the bearing, like it had been cooked. I put in a new axle and new bearings and seals and it is much, much quieter.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28Z06
The bearings do not fall out, they do have to be pulled, but it is not that tough. You can get inexpensive bearing tool kit at harbor freight (keep the chinese fed). A seal puller is cheap and makes the job easier. My right rear axle had wear on it at the bearing, like it had been cooked. I put in a new axle and new bearings and seals and it is much, much quieter.
yeah, I'll make sure to inspect the axles after removal, it's been making this noise ever since I've owned it for 5 months now and I'm not sure how long before I bought it.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Some of them can be so hard to pull out that they will break your puller. I have had a few I had to heat up with a torch first before the sumbishes would budge. So yes an axle bearing puller is needed. I think Harbor Freight has a set for around $25.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used loaner tools from the auto parts store, 3 jaw puller with slide hammer and a seal driver kit.

Quick Reply: rear wheel bearing and seal replacement, do I need a bearing puller?