Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Wavetrac Diff & 9" Rear End Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Wavetrac Diff & 9" Rear End Problem?

Couple weeks back we had bled my rear end & found shiny specks & some small chunks in it. So we took my rear end apart & checked out the gears, wavetrac differential, etc & found that the gears have some wear for some reason. Since the previous owner said the rear end & gears don't have that many miles. Then when we took apart the Wavetrac & found some chunks inside it.

Took some pics if anyone has any info... First time dealing with a wavetrac

Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the Wavetrac has a lifetime warranty... send these pics and whatever info to Moser Engineering as they are the exclusive dealer for the 9 inch models. They have been good about taking care of the Wavetrac issues.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright thanks emailed them & wavetrac
Old 12-21-2011, 07:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It is most likely one of the first gen Wavetrac's, as they had to beef them up after several of us broke a couple of their first batch. We broke one at the old shop in a GTO that we had installed a Moser M9 (fabricated rear) in. It was a manual transmission car with a ProCharger F-1C on a built engine. The engineers at Wavetrac wasted no time in updating their product and took care of us. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-21-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I've heard the 2 bolt ones have problems?

Last edited by DoggyB22; 12-24-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you end up contacting wavetrac about this? Im seriously considering one but would like to know how they deal with problems.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4SFEDSS
Did you end up contacting wavetrac about this? Im seriously considering one but would like to know how they deal with problems.
Yep they shipped me a new one & just got it in today Can't argue against a life time warranty. So once I get it installed Ill have to see how it is!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well you cant beat that. Keep me posted on how you like it when its done.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4SFEDSS
Well you cant beat that. Keep me posted on how you like it when its done.
For sure! Should have it all in my next week. Along with my new clutch & shifter
Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
For sure! Should have it all in my next week. Along with my new clutch & shifter
This is really nice to hear since I just broke my wavetrac that I got back in 09
Old 02-21-2012, 05:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tyler ovel
This is really nice to hear since I just broke my wavetrac that I got back in 09
Replied to your PM give them a call 949-362-8700 & just explain everything & you should be good! You probably have the first generation diff that they made which were garbage I guess? & they've fixed & changed the newer ones design. Unless yours looks like the one in the pic I posted above?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I agree, you should not have any problems getting it warrantied. Bob

Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I gave them a call and they said since it was purchased through jaws gear and axle and that jaws gear purchased it from moser that I have to go through moser for thw warranty. Also contacted moser and they won't warranty the item to me personally since on their work order jaws gear and axle is the original purchaser (even though I paid for everything) and the owner of jwas gear won't provide me with his purchase order from moser to warranty this myself. So basically where i am at now is the car is at jaws gear to take out the unit and send it in for inspection from moser. And as far as the owner from jaws gear, he isnt very reassuring that moser will warranty this Item. He said moser told him only a couple have came back and where replaced since they have had the wavetrac.

So I'm keeping my fingers cross. I got it back In 09 brand new so I hope its a first gen unit and will be replaced.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I gave them a call and they said since it was purchased through jaws gear and axle and that jaws gear purchased it from moser that I have to go through moser for thw warranty. Also contacted moser and they won't warranty the item to me personally since on their work order jaws gear and axle is the original purchaser (even though I paid for everything) and the owner of jwas gear won't provide me with his purchase order from moser to warranty this myself. So basically where i am at now is the car is at jaws gear to take out the unit and send it in for inspection from moser. And as far as the owner from jaws gear, he isnt very reassuring that moser will warranty this Item. He said moser told him only a couple have came back and where replaced since they have had the wavetrac.

So I'm keeping my fingers cross. I got it back In 09 brand new so I hope its a first gen unit and will be replaced.
Moser would refer you to who you purchased it through. Every now and then I have to dig up an invoice number for a customer who has a warranty claim, so that my customer can send his part back to Moser. There is no reason that I can see for Moser to not send in your Wavetrac back to the manufacturer to get it warrantied. I had a Wavetrac about a year ago that went back to Moser. I ordered another one for the customer so that he could get the car back up and running right away, I paid for that one myself and then I was reimbursed once it was warrantied. I don't see you having a problem with getting your Wavetrac warrantied. Bob

Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Bob. I appreciate the help
Old 02-22-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my moser 9in rear with wavetrac diff for 1 year now and so far I couldn't be happier with it. It drives like stock rear but it gets the job done. It's a stout setup and no issues to date. Yes the wavetrac diff is expensive but what drove me to get it was the lifetime warranty and it's overall driveability. I hate to go through spool, detroit locker, then finally get a wavetrac. With just a lifetime warranty, it pays for itself. Got it from Bob. Thanks man.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Proud to announce that moser has warrantied my unit and was shipped out yesterday. Should have car back on Tuesday. Thanks for your help guys
Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Proud to announce that moser has warrantied my unit and was shipped out yesterday. Should have car back on Tuesday. Thanks for your help guys
Good deal, I knew they would come through for you. Bob

Quick Reply: Wavetrac Diff & 9" Rear End Problem?