Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Guys with Dana S60's I have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guys with Dana S60's I have a few questions.

Looking into new rear-ends. I really like the S60. I know its heavy blah blah, but I'm pretty much set on it. But I was wanting to hear from people using them because I have a few questions.
1- I have seen on here where people were talking about atheir covers leaking? Has this been addressed? I've seen the aluminum covers are those the fix?
2- Any guys running the the new s-trac unit? Car makes 466to the wheels with a 150 shot coming.
3- Is there a write up on removing the brake backing plates?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine came with the stamped cover and I haven't had any issues with it leaking. I have had it in the car for about 10 months 1500 miles or so and a couple trips to the track
Old 01-08-2012, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

i have the aluminum cover and mines is not leaking. As far as the backing plates it was just easier for me to pay a little extra and have them already installed when they ship it.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95killerz
Mine came with the stamped cover and I haven't had any issues with it leaking. I have had it in the car for about 10 months 1500 miles or so and a couple trips to the track
Originally Posted by los p
i have the aluminum cover and mines is not leaking. As far as the backing plates it was just easier for me to pay a little extra and have them already installed when they ship it.
What power level are you guys running with them, any before and afters?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I had one in my car and it made 600rwhp, and it took it all day long. I would 60ft 1.4Xs at the track and it wouldn't miss a beat. This was in a stalled A4 with H/C/I 346 with a 150 shot spraying out of the hole. I had a tru-trac differential in mine.

My buddy on the other hand had a 402 M6 and was spraying a 150-200 shot and broke his tru-trac in his dana S60. IMO the rear end is good but the tru-trac has been proven to suck in M6 cars. I believe that is why his broke, and there is a thread in the drag racing section on how bad tru-tracs are.

Now the S-trac or wavetrac is suppose to the cats meow! Suppose to be the best posi unit on the market, and just as strong as a spool. I have not had any experience with it personally but this what i gathered from reading.

I sold my dana S60 cause it was heavy 220lbs with just the backing plates on it. I though i was on the limit of a tru-trac and wanted a narrowed rear thats why i sold mine. The car now probably has 550rwhp without nitrous and probably going to guess over 700rwhp on it.

So I went with a spooled MWC 9inch. I would call them and talk to them before you even think about buying rearend. Super friendly, graet ppl to deal with and will answer all your questions. He will not upsell you anything you don't need, he just tells you the facts and lets you decide from there.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

i ordered my s60 from carl with central racing parts........i talked to him for a half hr before i actually ordered, and he answereed all of my questions........great price too.....not telling you what i paid, but hee will be honest with you and answer all your questions about the s60 as well.........his number is on his website.....just google central racing parts.....o and i love my big heavy, and RELIABLE s60
Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transam69230
I had one in my car and it made 600rwhp, and it took it all day long. I would 60ft 1.4Xs at the track and it wouldn't miss a beat. This was in a stalled A4 with H/C/I 346 with a 150 shot spraying out of the hole. I had a tru-trac differential in mine.

My buddy on the other hand had a 402 M6 and was spraying a 150-200 shot and broke his tru-trac in his dana S60. IMO the rear end is good but the tru-trac has been proven to suck in M6 cars. I believe that is why his broke, and there is a thread in the drag racing section on how bad tru-tracs are.

Now the S-trac or wavetrac is suppose to the cats meow! Suppose to be the best posi unit on the market, and just as strong as a spool. I have not had any experience with it personally but this what i gathered from reading.

I sold my dana S60 cause it was heavy 220lbs with just the backing plates on it. I though i was on the limit of a tru-trac and wanted a narrowed rear thats why i sold mine. The car now probably has 550rwhp without nitrous and probably going to guess over 700rwhp on it.

So I went with a spooled MWC 9inch. I would call them and talk to them before you even think about buying rearend. Super friendly, graet ppl to deal with and will answer all your questions. He will not upsell you anything you don't need, he just tells you the facts and lets you decide from there.
Your set-up sounds almost identical to mine. Can you not get a narrowed 60?
Carl at CRP says the new s-trac and been in cars with up to 800rwhp with no premature failures. Total street cat, did your buddy do alot of track time with sticky tires?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like mine.
with a truetrac is was something like 196 pounds. it was 50 more then my stock 10bolt. But I went to a spool and that saved somthiong like 33Pounds. My truetrac starting acting funny at the track but was fine on the street. I made thread about it, it went 5-7 pages long, alot of other guys said there did the same thing.

the S60 has a 9.75 ring gear or 9.5+? so this diff is big and has a lot of weight there. I looked into a MWC( and to get a light one I think I was lighter then a 10bolt) It was something like $3,500-3,900
I got my s60 cheap about 5 years ago. But with the true trac is was $2050, and the alum cover. I dont think there that much now.. They both have there place, My car is realllly light so I car about weight. But The s60 is not going to break, and when they say its good place to have weight. There kinda right.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

My main attraction to the S60 is the price. To get a 4channel MWC 9in with the differential that they recommended other than going with a spool it was going to end up costing about $4000. I know I'm going to have to add a a drive shaft with either and a torque arm with the s60 but the initial buy in on the s60 is the main selling point. With my current obligations it will be alot easier for me to save another 500 later than another 1500 before making the initial purchase. Stupid I know but its is the case.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
My main attraction to the S60 is the price. To get a 4channel MWC 9in with the differential that they recommended other than going with a spool it was going to end up costing about $4000. I know I'm going to have to add a a drive shaft with either and a torque arm with the s60 but the initial buy in on the s60 is the main selling point. With my current obligations it will be alot easier for me to save another 500 later than another 1500 before making the initial purchase. Stupid I know but its is the case.
its not stupid to me but if it is i guess we both are bc that was the selling point for me but i did already have a umi ta it only took a very small amount of cutting to make it fit.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Got one from Carl and it just bolted in. No muss no fuss. Make sure you use a decent torque arm, mine has a TH400 and a tunnel mount. The only thing with the swap I didn't expect was the 10 bolt has metric lug nuts the S60 has American nuts. Bad Carl Had absolutely no issues with the rear brakes.

Al 95 Z28
Old 01-09-2012, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had my S60 for 2-3 years now. No leaking noted yet. If I had the choice to do it again, I would.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:09 AM
11 Second Club

Yea he broke his S60 on a Hoosier slick (tru-trac diff). I run a MT drag radials on my car and love em.

I could have got my S60 shorten but by the time it was all said and done it would have been the same amount of money as just starting over basically. I added a lot of features to my MWC rear which made the price more than what i wanted to spend, but I only want to do it once.

I thought the S60 was going to be my last rear end ever just because its shear size and strength but thigns change. The MWC will be last one ever for this car I can guarantee you that! Right now I am all about the weight savings and the S60 and heavy UMI trq arm had to go. I am thinking I will drop over a 100lbs by switching from the S60 to the MWC.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Al
Got one from Carl and it just bolted in. No muss no fuss. Make sure you use a decent torque arm, mine has a TH400 and a tunnel mount. The only thing with the swap I didn't expect was the 10 bolt has metric lug nuts the S60 has American nuts. Bad Carl Had absolutely no issues with the rear brakes.

Al 95 Z28
Is there a write up for the backing plates?

Originally Posted by los p
its not stupid to me but if it is i guess we both are bc that was the selling point for me but i did already have a umi ta it only took a very small amount of cutting to make it fit.
Yeah I was aware of something about having to notch it out at the top to make the holes line up, is this the cut you had to make?

Originally Posted by crazboy99
I've had my S60 for 2-3 years now. No leaking noted yet. If I had the choice to do it again, I would.
What differential are you using and at what power level?

Yea he broke his S60 on a Hoosier slick (tru-trac diff). I run a MT drag radials on my car and love em.

I could have got my S60 shorten but by the time it was all said and done it would have been the same amount of money as just starting over basically. I added a lot of features to my MWC rear which made the price more than what i wanted to spend, but I only want to do it once.

I thought the S60 was going to be my last rear end ever just because its shear size and strength but thigns change. The MWC will be last one ever for this car I can guarantee you that! Right now I am all about the weight savings and the S60 and heavy UMI trq arm had to go. I am thinking I will drop over a 100lbs by switching from the S60 to the MWC.
My car is just a street car, I am not into chasing ET's. I will run it someday just to have a number.Also, I know that when I talked to Eric I believe? @ MWC with an aluminum center section and a spool you can have a 9in weighing less than the 10-bolt. THAT is impressive to say the least.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:33 AM
11 Second Club

That is the reason I sold mine, new one will be lighter than a 10bolt!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I remember, it is tru trac with 3.73's . I wasn't too worried about it when I bought it. I just wanted a stronger rear that wasn't about to break like my 10 bolt was. With the transmission in the shape it is in, it made 391rwhp and 375rwtq thru a SS4000 stall. Those numbers are with a Vindicator cam, pacesetter LT, TSP true duals, and stock heads and intake
Old 01-09-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crazboy99
If I remember, it is tru trac with 3.73's . I wasn't too worried about it when I bought it. I just wanted a stronger rear that wasn't about to break like my 10 bolt was. With the transmission in the shape it is in, it made 391rwhp and 375rwtq thru a SS4000 stall. Those numbers are with a Vindicator cam, pacesetter LT, TSP true duals, and stock heads and intake
How is that gear with the Vindicator, i love the 4.10 with it but since im adding a 150 shot i was thinking 3.90 and carl was thinking 3.73

But since I wont be spraying all the time, I didn't want to sacrifice any street driving. I just rememeber how bad it was with my 3.42

That is the reason I sold mine, new one will be lighter than a 10bolt!
HEHE transam im jealous
Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
How is that gear with the Vindicator, i love the 4.10 with it but since im adding a 150 shot i was thinking 3.90 and carl was thinking 3.73

But since I wont be spraying all the time, I didn't want to sacrifice any street driving. I just rememeber how bad it was with my 3.42

HEHE transam im jealous
A 9" is the way to go if you like to change ratios. Easiest rear end to set up.

Al 95 Z28
Old 01-09-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is pretty fun with the 3.73's. Traction is still an issue, which I'm fine with.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

it must be a good rear end because i hardly see any for sale along with 9" setups , i see 12 bolts for sale all the time .

Quick Reply: Guys with Dana S60's I have a few questions.