Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Found single roller bearing in diff.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Found single roller bearing in diff.

While working on my 10 bolt, I drained the fluid and pulled the cover, and inside I found 1 single roller bearing laying in the diff. It was in that cavity on the bottom rail of the diff. where the cover bolts up. I checked each carrier bearing, and each axle bearing, and all of their rollers are there.......I don't even see how they could come out unless there was a huge failure somewhere. When pulled, the rear made zero noise, and gave me no problems..........trying to figure out where this thing came from. You guys think there is any chance one of the rollers off the pinion bearing made its way out? Wouldn't it be painfully obvious if it did? The roller has no damage or nicks on it, and my gears are perfect....no nicks, chips, or anything besides some wear.

I am kinda leaning towards thinking that the rear end had been worked on before I owned it, and maybe this one roller stayed in the housing. IDK.....anyone have a theory? I'd hate to tear apart a perfectly working rear for no reason.......
Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your rear makes no noise and the gear lube was clean when it drained the stray roller is probably from a previous blow up. How did the magnet look that's inside the cover....just pasty fuzz or pieces with part numbers on them stuck to it? If all looks good I'd say you're okay. The chance of a roller making it out of a bearing without ruining the rear are slim to none.

Last edited by guppymech; 01-16-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

was it a tapered roller or straight roller ?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fluid was in good shape......I actually changed it about 6 months or so ago. The magnet was really clean. I really didn't see it possible for one of those suckers to get out without trashing the rear......

It was a straight roller......looks like its a tad bit smaller than the rollers in the axle bearings.......I might go to Autozone/Oreilly, etc and have them pull a set of bearings off the shelf and see where it may have belonged.