Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Still undecided!!! Opinions please!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Still undecided!!! Opinions please!

I've been reading on and on the past few days, however, still undecided on what rearend to get.

Here's a quick run down on the car. Its a full bolt-on LS1, with full UMI suspension and double adj. QA1's up front; only the stock rear springs remain (heater hose mod). It also has a FLT Level 4 trans w/ 4k Circle D converter.

A few weeks ago, I broke the 10 bolt and replaced it with another stock 10 bolt for the meantime, just to get the car running again. I've been reading on both 12 bolts and 9" rearends, but still undecided. Some have told me just to get a 12 bolt as I'm auto, but for the same price I might as well get a 9". My car does have ABS/TCS but I will be getting an ABS delete kit and not concerned with TCS. My car does get driven every now and then on the street and highway, but a spool is preferred. My goals are to get a 11.5X on bolt-ons and eventually a 10.99 on H/C/I on a stock shortblock. The car's weight is approximately 3250 as it sits on stock wheels. Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just got rid of my 12 bolt for a MWC fab9"......

the fab 9" is lighter than my 12 bolt & if i remember right the 9" weighs about the same as a 10 bolt.....

i am a m6 & every time you go to the track with a 12 bolt it seems to get louder than the time before....

i would do it once & do the 9",it is nice to finally have a quite rear.....

good luck!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! I'm leaning towards the MWC 9", but it does cost a penny. I bet it looks awesome though!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Strange 12 bolt.....I believe its a better design then the Moser unit at an equal price from a better company. For 10.99s you do not need a nine inch rear end by any means.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Strange 12 bolt.....I believe its a better design then the Moser unit at an equal price from a better company. For 10.99s you do not need a nine inch rear end by any means.
your right....you dont.

i have seen 10 bolts do 10s.....i ran low 11s on mine,11.08 with a 1.48 60'

but by the time you spend the money on a 12 bolt....
the weight difference,the noise they make & the labor involved.....

i would do a 9" for not that much more money & enjoy the quite & strength with a lighter weight.

but thats just me......

good luck.....
Old 02-15-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

The problem is a good 9" doesn't cost that much more than a good 12 bolt. I'd prefer the 9" over a 12 bolt any day due to the ease of gear install, and the wealth of aftermarket for them. If the 12 bolt were much cheaper, it would definitely have a larger market.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HoLLo
The problem is a good 9" doesn't cost that much more than a good 12 bolt. I'd prefer the 9" over a 12 bolt any day due to the ease of gear install, and the wealth of aftermarket for them. If the 12 bolt were much cheaper, it would definitely have a larger market.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/82-02-F-B...ar-Ends_c5.htm
I agree, my Moser 9 inch prices are nearly identical to my Moser 12 bolt prices. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

I can only relate my experience with a Strange 12-bolt, and I've never had a 9" (I might like it more if I did, but who knows). The Strange was perfect for me because it was so easy to install, like stock for stock, and everything works like stock with no issues (TCS, ABS, etc.). I must be really lucky because my 12-bolt is quiet, but then again I've only hammered it a few times on the street. The extra weight I've found to be an advantage because it softened the harshness of my lowering springs and stiff shocks, and an added bonus is extra traction in the winter.

Overall I couldn't be more pleased, but I did spend a lot for it along with a new chrome moly driveshaft, around 3600 including shipping. FWIW.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Strange 12 bolts aren't more quiet because of luck IMO. Everyone gives 12 bolts a bad rap for being noisy, however, you don't see many complaints about Strange 12 bolts. Wanna guess what rear end I bought??
Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Strange 12 bolts aren't more quiet because of luck IMO. Everyone gives 12 bolts a bad rap for being noisy, however, you don't see many complaints about Strange 12 bolts. Wanna guess what rear end I bought??
There are plenty of people on here who went with Strange 12 bolts who ended up with gear noise, you can search threads on here to find them. Manual transmissions are normally what brings out the gear noise with 12 bolts. Bob

Old 02-15-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

ummmmmm, a Strange 12-bolt?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Strange manufactures a direct bolt-in 12 bolt and the most popular Dana S60 for the F-body torque arm cars. Both are great rearends, but a 9 inch Ford type seems to be the most common replacement for various reasons.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Strange manufactures a direct bolt-in 12 bolt and the most popular Dana S60 for the F-body torque arm cars. Both are great rearends, but a 9 inch Ford type seems to be the most common replacement for various reasons.
I am very happy with my spooled-Strange S60, although, it has yet to be track tested (very soon though). It was a budget decision for me.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that Strange uses OEM mounts on their rear ends for our cars. In Stranges' catalog they reccomend the S60 over their own 12 bolt and the S60 costs less also. I have rarely seen any posts of problems with the S60.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If you don't mind the little extra weight it caries it is a great rearend no doubt. Anyone have any questions on any rearend for the f-body cars we have experience with all of them on both street and strip. Give us a call!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
If you don't mind the little extra weight it caries it is a great rearend no doubt. Anyone have any questions on any rearend for the f-body cars we have experience with all of them on both street and strip. Give us a call!
...yep, a little more weight, but what better place to have a little more weight than over the rear tires!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate all the information guys! I've decided to go with a 9" rearend as plans do change and have that peace of mind. I do agree with a slight extra weight over the rear tires. Thanks Bob and MWC, I'll be giving you guys a call pretty soon within the next couple of weeks and figure out my options!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe Spinners
I appreciate all the information guys! I've decided to go with a 9" rearend as plans do change and have that peace of mind. I do agree with a slight extra weight over the rear tires. Thanks Bob and MWC, I'll be giving you guys a call pretty soon within the next couple of weeks and figure out my options!
Good choice. I bought a strange 12 bolt from mwc back before Eric started producing his fabbed 9"s. I have a car similar to your plus H/C and a bit more weight. I am not worried at all about breaking this rear. However one of these fabbed 9's is a better unit all around and cost almost the same as the 12 bolt. If I had to do it again I would get the 9", no such thing as overkill.

Oh and my strange 12 bolt started making noise on the 2nd day I had it. Its annoying with the windows up but tolerable otherwise and occurs at certain speeds for me. Still a little dissapointed when you drop nearly 3 grand on it and it whines, but I'll take some whine if it stays together.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Good choice. I bought a strange 12 bolt from mwc back before Eric started producing his fabbed 9"s. I have a car similar to your plus H/C and a bit more weight. I am not worried at all about breaking this rear. However one of these fabbed 9's is a better unit all around and cost almost the same as the 12 bolt. If I had to do it again I would get the 9", no such thing as overkill.

Oh and my strange 12 bolt started making noise on the 2nd day I had it. Its annoying with the windows up but tolerable otherwise and occurs at certain speeds for me. Still a little dissapointed when you drop nearly 3 grand on it and it whines, but I'll take some whine if it stays together.
What's interesting about my 12-bolt is that it did whine when I first put it in, but it got quieter as time went on. Now it's as quiet as my stock 10-bolt was. Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know, but I did follow the break-in instructions to a T, plus I don't have sticky tires.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Joe Spinners
You're welcome, thanks. Bob

Search this Thread