Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8 owners & Moser 12 bolt owners come inside!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 8.8 owners & Moser 12 bolt owners come inside!!!

I'm in the market for a new rear end and I was wanted to get some input from some people who own these two rear ends. I've priced both of them and they are about the same so I don't know which one to get. How to the 8.8 owners like the rear? Are you satisfied with it? Everything fit ok? I will be purchasing the 8.8 from the guy down in Texas. What about the 12 bolt owners, how do you like you rear? I've heard many issues about the Moser 12 bolt (whining, pinion seal leaking, etc.) have the problems been solved? Thanks for all the input guys, BTW, this will determine what rear I will buy.

Thanks,
Robbie
Old 03-21-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have one of Extreme Chassis' 8.8's, guy in TX. I have had NO problems with it. Depending on what level of rear you get from him, it can be quite a bit cheaper than a 12 bolt. I have the basic rear and have been running low 7's on it with no problems. This has the 31 spine stock style axles and the Auburn unit. In the near future, I'm going to be getting him to build me a more race oriented one when the new motor goes in.

I like the 8.8 just because I have seen what they can handle in the Mustangs. I myself have put the 8.8's in both of my Mustangs to ALOT of abuse with no failures. To me, its the way to go...its light and it is strong.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Turbo'd stang, I emailed him and for a pricing of an 8.8 housing with 4.10 gears, eaton posi, 1350 yoke, girdle with stud kit, with ABS/ASR and it was $2390 shipped to my house with a $100 core charge for my axle tubes (which I'm gonna pay so I can keep my stock rear for resale reasons). Do you think the Auburn is a good posi for me? Do you think I need a 1350 yoke with it? I figured since I was getting a new one, mine as well go all out with and get everything for it. I don't plan doing much more to my engine, except heads or a blower maybe and I go to the track occasionally with slicks.

Thanks,
Robbie
Old 03-21-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with the Auburn due to it being cheaper and they have a "if it breaks, send it in and you get a new one" policy. They don't rebuild it, you get a new one. As of now, mine is holding up fine and I run 28x10 slicks at the track.

On the yoke, you might talk to him. My thinking is it is overkill. You have a crappy u-joint in the front of the DS and the DS itself sucks, so you don't need a bullet proof yoke with the other stuff being weak. If you were going to upgrade the rest, the I would get the 1350. If not, get a cheaper one. I would talk to him though, he is the expert. That is my thinking, but I may be totally wrong.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

I plan on upgrading the DS as well as both u joints. I will be getting a custom, chromoly DS with spicer u joints on each end. Thanks for the help

Robbie