Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need new axle, bit of advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new axle, bit of advice?

So I finally isolated the squeaking sound on my car. I had it on the lift and pressed down the gas so both wheels would turn. My rear right wheel is fine and straight, the rear left wheel, where the squeak is emanating from wobbles in and out with every turn, thus causing this squeak. Firestone, the place I took it to in order to have it looked at told me they could do it for $476. $350 is the complete axle set with wheel bearings, and $126 for the labor.

This seems like an awful lot to me. Any idea on where I could get an axle on my own? And what does the typical shop charge to install this? If possible, I only need the rear left axle, not the complete set. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd swap rear wheels side to side to rule out a bent rim. If it's the axle rock auto has axles from 98 to 180 ea. If you have 4 channel abs you need that type of axle to accept the abs reluctor ring which you will have to transfer over from your old axle. Get a new axle bearing and seal and your good to go.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by guppymech
I'd swap rear wheels side to side to rule out a bent rim. If it's the axle rock auto has axles from 98 to 180 ea. If you have 4 channel abs you need that type of axle to accept the abs reluctor ring which you will have to transfer over from your old axle. Get a new axle bearing and seal and your good to go.
Yeah, I was thinking of checking rockauto. They have the cheapest parts around usually. I don't have the tools to do this myself though. Any idea what a shop would charge for the installation?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

An axle replacement is cake. If you can change brakes and rear end gear oil you could knock this out no sweat.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Banned

I don't have any automotive tools, so I can't even try to work on it myself. Not to mention I have very minimal experience. I've changed brakes before, but that's just about the extent of my experience.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
An axle replacement is cake. If you can change brakes and rear end gear oil you could knock this out no sweat.
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
I don't have any automotive tools, so I can't even try to work on it myself. Not to mention I have very minimal experience. I've changed brakes before, but that's just about the extent of my experience.
As far as I know, on the LS 4th gens there are really no special tools required. I've swapped an axle on a V6 car before and as 01ss said, it's cake. Your going to remove your whole brake assembly on that side, then open up the rear cover. On the differential housing there should be a lock bolt threaded in. Pop this lock bolt off, then slide the axle in towards the center of the diff. The c-clip should pop right off, and you should then be able to pull the axle out.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, no special tools required.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to hijack the thread, but since we are already on the topic of swapping axles, I figured this would be simpler than posting a new thread.

Basic break down: Scrapping/whining sort of noise from rear driver side, lots of questions and threads later its determined it's most likely my axle bearings. So I purchase 2 moser axles and replacement axle bearings and seals. I only need to know a few things.

First, am I going to need axle/bearing grease? (I'd assume so), and if I do, what kind and how is the best way to apply it?

Second, what is the stock axle stud size? (I have a broken one that needs replaced).

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

C.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Carlisle
Sorry to hijack the thread, but since we are already on the topic of swapping axles, I figured this would be simpler than posting a new thread.

Basic break down: Scrapping/whining sort of noise from rear driver side, lots of questions and threads later its determined it's most likely my axle bearings. So I purchase 2 moser axles and replacement axle bearings and seals. I only need to know a few things.

First, am I going to need axle/bearing grease? (I'd assume so), and if I do, what kind and how is the best way to apply it?

Second, what is the stock axle stud size? (I have a broken one that needs replaced).

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

C.
Can't really answer your question. But I can tell you it's taken me almost 3 months and a half dozen threads and going to different shops and getting my car looked at to isolate this sound. Finally found out mine was a bent axle. I had freshly replaced wheel bearings on there too. So I kinda know what you're going through.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wheel bearings are lubed by gear oil in 10 bolts and axle stud size is 12mm
Old 03-08-2012, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Wheel bearings are lubed by gear oil in 10 bolts and axle stud size is 12mm
you wouldn't happen to know the length would you?

C.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dunno right off hand. A quick search would prolly yield the answer.....