Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

midwest chassis 9 inch keeps leaking out of axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default midwest chassis 9 inch keeps leaking out of axle

Guys, I am in a rage of fury, and I'm trying to calm down by maybe getting a second opinion from you all.

Five weeks ago my pinion seal was leaking. I took it to San Diego Gear and Axle, and they replaced the seal.

A week later, my driver's side axle seal was leaking. There was fluid all over the inside of the back wheel. I again took it to SD Gear and Axle, and they replaced that one side. A week after that, the passenger side leaked. I took it back, and they supposedly replaced that also.

It still leaked. They said the breather was getting clogged with silicon, so I told them to replace the breather, flush out the fluid, and put in fresh fluid. Supposedly, they did.

I just checked the passenger side wheel, and IT IS STILL LEAKING. Not as much of a leak as before, but it's wet in that area and I'm tired of it making puddles.

Here is a picture of the breather:

I have NEVER seen a breather like that before. They told me it was a gasoline breather. Huh?

When I look inside of it, IT LOOKS LIKE THERE IS CANDLE WAX IN THERE.

Am I missing something here? I'm about to go off on this damn shop. I know it's not that difficult to replace seals on a Ford 9"!!!!

If anyone can help me out with maybe something I've overlooked, please let me know. I don't want to lose my cool without good reason, but goddamn, after taking my daily driver to a GEAR AND AXLE shop four times, you'd think they'd know how to stop axle seals from leaking.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats not the kind of breather that came with mine, I got a screw in brass mesh breather & it was leaking, & slight seep on the pinion seal. I ended up getting the breather above the axle about 10 inches by installing it in a piece of hose then connecting it to the axle tube. If your breather was plugged that would explain why all your seals were leaking. I would call MWC & ask them.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

something is not right or someone your dealing with is not being honest with you?
i understand the clogged breather effect.

its funny how who ever, some how fixed the pinion leak.
you get it back from that and 1 axle leaks, then you go back again & the other axle leaks...................WTF.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Man screw those guys. How many times have you been there, only to have them say it was either someone else that caused the problem or that there was no leak of any kind? And let's not even talk about all of that filter nonsense. Didn't Spring Valley Auto also say that the filter/breather hadn't been changed, even though SD Axle says it was? The Charger's still getting it's body work done, so before they finish I'll ram that thing right through their front office and tell them that there's no problem there, either. Aren't those people sponsors here? They 'oughta speak up-it's the least they can do...
Old 03-15-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

welcome to the world of 9" ford rears, you might be able to slow the leaks down but they almost always seep something out of the axle ends, just something you have to deal with, i put inner axle seals in, then siliconed around the outsides of them, then when i installed my bearings and collars onto the axles i siliconed around the insides of them also and when i installed the axles into the rear housing i siliconed around the axle bearing where it goes into the housing and guess what... after all that they still seep a little nothing too bad though
Old 03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for responding guys, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Thats not the kind of breather that came with mine, I got a screw in brass mesh breather & it was leaking, & slight seep on the pinion seal. I ended up getting the breather above the axle about 10 inches by installing it in a piece of hose then connecting it to the axle tube. If your breather was plugged that would explain why all your seals were leaking. I would call MWC & ask them.
The breather that came with mine was the brass screw in style too. It got clogged with silicon. There is a threaded barb fitting in place of it, with a hose that goes up, like you're talking about. At the end of it, I found the "filter" that's in the pic above. I shined an LED flashlight into it, and there is wax in there.

Originally Posted by heymoej
its funny how who ever, some how fixed the pinion leak.
you get it back from that and 1 axle leaks, then you go back again & the other axle leaks...................WTF.
That is EXACTLY what happened. I am not a rear axle genius, but if there is a leak, you should at least check the breather to see if it's clogged. This takes what, 20 seconds or so? They did not do this the first time, when they changed the pinion seal.

Originally Posted by myk
Man screw those guys. How many times have you been there, only to have them say it was either someone else that caused the problem or that there was no leak of any kind? And let's not even talk about all of that filter nonsense. Didn't Spring Valley Auto also say that the filter/breather hadn't been changed, even though SD Axle says it was? The Charger's still getting it's body work done, so before they finish I'll ram that thing right through their front office and tell them that there's no problem there, either. Aren't those people sponsors here? They 'oughta speak up-it's the least they can do...
I have been there four times. They blame Midwest Chassis. Spring Valley Auto said that they were surprised that SD Gear and Axle didn't change out the breather to the hose style flintwrench talked about above.

Originally Posted by shepss217
welcome to the world of 9" ford rears, you might be able to slow the leaks down but they almost always seep something out of the axle ends, just something you have to deal with, i put inner axle seals in, then siliconed around the outsides of them, then when i installed my bearings and collars onto the axles i siliconed around the insides of them also and when i installed the axles into the rear housing i siliconed around the axle bearing where it goes into the housing and guess what... after all that they still seep a little nothing too bad though
I hear you, but this rearend does not get any abuse. I use it as a daily driver to work that is close to where I live, and I don't race this car at the track. Also, this rearend is two years old. Are you trying to tell me that that if I go out today and buy a Ford vehicle with a 9inch, that two years from now, I should accept that it should leak?

If Eric from Midwest is reading this, this has Moser axles, correct? Regardless of what axle manufacturer though, shouldn't the gear and axle shop have checked the surface of the axle where the seal/bearing wraps around to check the condition? From what I understand, if that surface is scored, or not straight, the axle will leak REGARDLESS of whether or not the seal is new or not. Please tell me if this is incorrect.

If it is correct, what is the major cause of this surface to wear to the point of leaking? Age?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shepss217
Comparing the 9 inch to the 10 bolt the pinion seal is much more exposed because it doesnt have a dust shield built into the yoke like the 10 bolt. For that reason I can understand that it may seep some, like mine does. The problem youre having with the axle seals sounds more like an axle or bearing fittment issue, I dont see anything coming from my axle seals but mine only has 6k on it. That sounds like a lot of extra siliconing, I cant even imagine having to do all that!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

Comparing the 9 inch to the 10 bolt the pinion seal is much more exposed because it doesnt have a dust shield built into the yoke like the 10 bolt. For that reason I can understand that it may seep some, like mine does. The problem youre having with the axle seals sounds more like an axle or bearing fittment issue, I dont see anything coming from my axle seals but mine only has 6k on it. That sounds like a lot of extra siliconing, I cant even imagine having to do all that!
Yup. Btw, my rearend has LESS THAN 3k ON IT.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by demonpixel
Yup. Btw, my rearend has LESS THAN 3k ON IT.
I have Strange axles, I see you have Mosers maybe thats the problem? I've read a lot of complaints about Moser axles.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 AM
TECH Resident

I have Strange axles, I see you have Mosers maybe thats the problem? I've read a lot of complaints about Moser axles.
Great. What kind of complaints??

I was also told that I had Timken Set 20s installed. Well now I'm confused. I thought that they were supposed to look like the upper axle in this pic:

But mine looks like this (pic taken in 2010):

Which one is correct?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The lower pic is of a tapered bearing which is the same as I have and in my opinion is a better design. Now, having said that, the seal on that design is very easy to damage when you install the axle/bearing/retainer. If you are not careful you will pinch the outside of the seal and it will destroy it and it will leak. If done correctly, they will not leak. My guess is the shop ruined the seals when they installed the axle. Like I said, it's easy to do and I have done it a couple times myself.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Dead on LS1-IROC, we have a winner.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
The lower pic is of a tapered bearing which is the same as I have and in my opinion is a better design. Now, having said that, the seal on that design is very easy to damage when you install the axle/bearing/retainer. If you are not careful you will pinch the outside of the seal and it will destroy it and it will leak. If done correctly, they will not leak. My guess is the shop ruined the seals when they installed the axle. Like I said, it's easy to do and I have done it a couple times myself.
Ah good to know, thanks LS1-IROC, that makes sense.

From what I understand though, the Set 20 by Timken kit comes in three pieces - a tapered seal, the bearing, and then something that goes around the bearing to enclose it (not sure what that piece is called). You can see it enclosed in the top pic. In the bottom pic, it looks like there are two pieces from the kit - the tapered seal and the bearing. Is it acceptable to install it this way?

Thanks again for all y'all's help.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here ya go.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...l-bearing.html
Old 03-16-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ser-axles.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...s-already.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-problems.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ser-stuff.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-headache.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ser-9inch.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ems-500hp.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...er-9-inch.html
Plenty of reading for ya.
I never owned anything Moser makes but after reading some of these stories I dont think I will either.
I was also told that I had Timken Set 20s installed. Well now I'm confused. I thought that they were supposed to look like the upper axle in this pic:

Which one is correct?
They both look similar, yours is a tapered bearing I am sure mine are not tapered. I got mine in Dec 2010.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine are strange axles to,so far so good......

OP,good luck figuaring this out.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks heymoej. I'll let you know how this turns out.

That....is crazy.

Forgot to ask you, how can you tell just by looking at the pic that it's a Moser axle?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks heymoej. I'll let you know how this turns out.

That....is crazy.
Sure is.

Forgot to ask you, how can you tell just by looking at the pic that it's a Moser axle?
I cant, you said you thought you had Moser axles but I guess youre not sure. Usually on the side where the wheel mounts to it will have a Moser decal or a Strange decal thats one easy way but it may not have it, mine has a big black & white S & I was notified by MWC that my axles were being shipped from Strange. I am not saying thats what the problem is, it could be that the seal was improperly installed its hard to tell. Did your MWC rear come assembled & if not who put it together?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Which one is correct?
That axle flange sure looks rusty to only have 3k on it. How does that happen?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Those are the Moser housing ends on that housing. Most use the ball bearing style bearings from Moser with an O ring on them like in the first axle picture you posted. Thats the style I have and mine do not leak. But then again mine has not been im the car long enough for me to really find out

Quick Reply: midwest chassis 9 inch keeps leaking out of axle