Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12 bolt axle tube weld broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser 12 bolt axle tube weld broke

Anyone have a axle tube weld break on their Moser 12 bolt? I have Mikey at Rapid Motorsports do a h/c/i, RAM clutch and Moser 12 bolt back in 2002. The car has30k and probably less then 5000 miles on this complete package. Can this be re-welded? I am getting a huge banging noise while driving. I brought it home from storage and it sounded like the torque arm was broke but the axle tune is messed up.
Attached Thumbnails Moser 12 bolt axle tube weld broke-moser-12-bolt-broken-axle-tube-5.jpg  

Last edited by 99monguse; 03-17-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

OUCH...........

looks like the 12 bolt will have to come out to weld it right.......and that axle pulled?
WELDING,you would have to watch out how much heat you put on that..........it has to be done right or you might warp it.

did you pull the cover?

good luck!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No I haven't done anything yet. I just hope this can be fixed. I can't afford to buy another $2800 rear-end! This car isn't even raced. When Rapid Motorsports did the package it was taken to the track one time and that was the summer of 2002. Never been back since. The one time I did run it I use ET streets and it was fine. My wife took the car to the store last fall with our son and it started making a terrible noise that sounded like the exhaust was smacking the floorboards. I just saw this broken axle tube today. I drove the car about 4 miles from storage to home today and the car drives fine except makes a terrible banking noise so it can't be driven now that I know what's wrong. Hell the stock 10 bolt didn't even break like this!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Pulling it and having it repaired in a jig would be the correct way to have it fixed. The quick way would be tack it a few times then seal it up like it sits (no weight on it obviously).
Old 03-17-2012, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go ahead and pull it out since it's already screwed. Give it an inspection and see if anything was hurt inside then just have a shop that does rearends reweld the tube.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Typical Moser junk, does not surprise me. I don't see how any of the sponsors on this site could sell someone this **** and feel good about it. After seeing all the twisted Moser axle splines, the machining problems my axle had, this...I mean give me a ******* break. I am about ready to pull the Moser axles out of my 9 inch and through them in the garbage and order from Strange. Sorry for my rant.

But, yes you should be able to take it out of the car, grind that down and tack it every 90* then weld it back up solid. I would tack across from each other, so tack, rotate 180, tack, rotate 90, tack, rotate 180, tack. Then you will have 4 tacks 90 apart. The weld it up solid. This counter acts the axle tube as the weld makes it want to pull.

Good luck
Old 03-18-2012, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Typical Moser junk, does not surprise me. I don't see how any of the sponsors on this site could sell someone this **** and feel good about it. After seeing all the twisted Moser axle splines, the machining problems my axle had, this...I mean give me a ******* break. I am about ready to pull the Moser axles out of my 9 inch and through them in the garbage and order from Strange. Sorry for my rant.

But, yes you should be able to take it out of the car, grind that down and tack it every 90* then weld it back up solid. I would tack across from each other, so tack, rotate 180, tack, rotate 90, tack, rotate 180, tack. Then you will have 4 tacks 90 apart. The weld it up solid. This counter acts the axle tube as the weld makes it want to pull.

Good luck

I agree, typical Moser stuff. My shock mounts were so far in from stock that my sway bar wouldn't fit on the rearend. Being an 1.5" off from factory is pretty excessive when you pay 2000+ dollars for one of these axles. Mine howled like an old ***** since the day I purchased it from Moser. I called them and they just said it was normal lol. I hate the torque arm mount also because the bolts always come loose no matter what I do.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
I agree, typical Moser stuff. My shock mounts were so far in from stock that my sway bar wouldn't fit on the rearend. Being an 1.5" off from factory is pretty excessive when you pay 2000+ dollars for one of these axles. Mine howled like an old ***** since the day I purchased it from Moser. I called them and they just said it was normal lol. I hate the torque arm mount also because the bolts always come loose no matter what I do.
Oh yeah, Moser uses the 4 short bolts don't they, instead of the factory-style two long bolts. Doesn't the Strange 12 bolt use the more normal two long bolts?

Before coming on this forum I always thought that Moser was pretty decent stuff. Now I'm not so convinced of that.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Oh yeah, Moser uses the 4 short bolts don't they, instead of the factory-style two long bolts. Doesn't the Strange 12 bolt use the more normal two long bolts?

Before coming on this forum I always thought that Moser was pretty decent stuff. Now I'm not so convinced of that.
Yes, Moser uses 4 short bolts to hold the torque arm on while Strange utilizes a mount similar to the factory mount. I'm not aware of their quality lately because my housing is about as old as the OP's (2003). I would stick with Strange but I'm sure you can find people complaining about their Strange unit.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Everything I heard says Strange is doing well so I ordered from them. Install thread/info here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...t-install.html
Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

I guess since LS1 Tech is so popular, and most of the sponsors on here push the Moser stuff that is why everyone has it. I know they all have there problems but I am about ready to give Strange a try.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

but I am about ready to give Strange a try.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

I guess since LS1 Tech is so popular, and most of the sponsors on here push the Moser stuff that is why everyone has it. I know they all have there problems but I am about ready to give Strange a try.
Give Me a call at any reasonable hour, be glad to help You!

Carl
Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You know I am very upset with this Moser. I had this installed at Rapid Motorsports back in FEB 2002 along with H/C/I, RAM clutch, tuned, SLP exhaust, subframe connectors and rear LCAs! Mikey did an OUTSTANDING job, I have nothing but good things to say about him! I loaded my car up on a trailer and drove from Cleveland, Ohio to Philly, PA because I heard nothing but good things about him! I got the car home and a few months later went to the dragstrip. I bolted on 16" ET STREETS. 1.4 60ft, just before the first shift I broke traction and kicked out sideways to about 10 o"clock position, power shifted 2nd and the car swung around the other way to about 1 o'clock and spun almost to 3rd gear, then straightened out. I ended up with a 12.1@118mph. The rear end began to howl just a little after that. That was the one and only pass the car ever had with this package. The howling isn't bad but you can hear it a bit...I bet if I raced all the time it would be much worse. I really don't think this should have happened. I do basic stuff on my cars but the important stuff I trust to the pros: A) I don't have the required tools and B) I don't have the knowledge. I don't claim to be a hotrodder because I don't do my own work. Just for $2500+, this is ridiculous! 2 years ago I had to have the axle side seals replaced because they were puking gear lube everywhere, and its possible the pinion seal is leaking but with this breakage, that might just be fluid seapage from the axle tube. Keep in mind this is on a rear axle that almost NEVER is driven. 5000 miles in TEN years and probably 99%of those miles where the summer of 2002. This is just wrong! With the economy the way it is here in Ohio, I can't afford $2500-$3000 for a new rear-axle! I am making $30k less then I was in 2002!

Last edited by 99monguse; 04-02-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

My advice would be to remove the entire axle assembly and take it to the best welder you can find. Get his opinion of the situation and what can be done and go from there. This is not the first axle tube that came loose from the housing and it's not the last......

Al 95 Z28
Old 04-25-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the 12 bolt fixed. Moser worked with me and gave me a fair price for the repair. I pulled the axle and shipped it to them so they could put it in their jig for the repair. Turn around time was very fast, actually much faster than I would have expected. They were fair with me.

Thanks Moser for working with me!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99monguse
Got the 12 bolt fixed. Moser worked with me and gave me a fair price for the repair. I pulled the axle and shipped it to them so they could put it in their jig for the repair. Turn around time was very fast, actually much faster than I would have expected. They were fair with me.

Thanks Moser for working with me!
THATS IS GREAT TO HEAR!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by heymoej
THATS IS GREAT TO HEAR!
Ditto! Nice to hear they worked with you!

Quick Reply: Moser 12 bolt axle tube weld broke