Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Gears & Axles
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Gears & Axles
Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
Sponsored by
JawsGear

Difference in stock and high performace Motive gears?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
TECH Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to Wicked 94TA
Default Difference in stock and high performace Motive gears?

What are the differences in the stock performace Motive gears (blue box) vs. the high performace Motive gears (red/orange box)? Are the high performace versions considerably stronger than the stock performance?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
TECH Resident

Trader Rating: 1

On most HP ring and pinion sets the gears are not as hard so they don't break from shock loading. In the old days GM sold "soft" gears over the counter. You could also have stock gears heat treated to soften them up. The down side is they wear out if you put a lot of miles on them.

I don't know specifically about Motive Gears, but that's what a lot of companies do. You could call and ask.

Al 95 Z28
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
TECH Apprentice

Here's what I found on Motive's website:

The Motive Gear Stock Performance is an excellent high quality light duty O.E. quality replacement ring and pinion. It has 8620 steel, CNC throughout and computer controlled heat treatment. Many installers have reported that this ring and pinion series seems beefier and quieter than OE gears. An excellent choice for both on and off road applications. These gears are found in everyday automobiles, trucks and vans. These gears are tough enough for UROC racers like Craig Stumph and Bart Jacobson.

Motive Gear Performance High Performance Series has more features built into it on top of the 8620 steel, CNC throughout and computer controlled heat treatment as the Stock Performance series. They are also double lapped, have index tooth spacing and central contact patterning. This High Performance Series comes in a huge range of ratios. These gears are used in stock car racing, drag racing, the toughest off road racing, sports cars, muscle cars, trucks and everyday automobiles when the driver demands the highest quality and performance.

Does anybody care to elaborate on this? What are the advantages of the double lapping, index tooth spacing and central contact patterning?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
TECH Regular

Trader Rating: 4

all i know is don't get the plain black box motives, i think they're called the motivators, they're noisy as hell, won't be in there long
Auto, 9 inch w/31 splines and spool, yank 3600, Heads/cam/nitrous, SLP lid, smooth bellow,ported throttle body,Speed engineering race headers w/TSP ORY,CORSA Catback, s&w adjustable panhard bar, founders performance lca's, comp engineering Rear shocks, QA1 Single adjustable front coilovers, umi adjustable tunnel mount torque arm, Racestar industries wheels with 275/60/15 hoosier drag radials
shepss217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
TECH Apprentice

The only ones I've ever seen are the blue and black box which are considered a stock replacement quality wise and the high performance which is in the black and red box. From what I've found the stock replacements are the quieter set but not as strong as the high performance.
Wicked 94TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
TECH Regular

Trader Rating: 4

yeah i'll be going with the blue and black box ones next time when i feel like taking apart the center again
Auto, 9 inch w/31 splines and spool, yank 3600, Heads/cam/nitrous, SLP lid, smooth bellow,ported throttle body,Speed engineering race headers w/TSP ORY,CORSA Catback, s&w adjustable panhard bar, founders performance lca's, comp engineering Rear shocks, QA1 Single adjustable front coilovers, umi adjustable tunnel mount torque arm, Racestar industries wheels with 275/60/15 hoosier drag radials
shepss217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement