Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Can 10 bolt drums be put on a strange 12 bolt?

Old 03-25-2004, 10:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can 10 bolt drums be put on a strange 12 bolt?

I like my drums and would like to keep them. Can they be fabbed up to work with a strange 12 bolt. How hard is it to swap?

Can I retain e-brake? With all the drag race brake setup I have, I want e-brake just in case.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:51 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure the flange on the rear is the same on all the 10 bolts. The only thing I'm not sure about is the length of the axle that sticks out (most likely the same between disc/drum cars) and I'm not sure if the backing plate alone is thick enough to hold the bearing in. All the drum brake/12 bolts I have worked on is the older stuff and they had a seperate aluminum piece that went on over the backing plate that retained the bearing. I honestly have never seen a 4th gen drum brake setup but I'm sure its possible to make it work if the backing playe is fairly thick. There is no reason why you cant keep the parking brake since its pretty much self contained in the drum brake assembly.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Keith, the Strange bolts in just like the 10 bolt. Retains all the functionallity (outside parts) of the stock 10 bolt.

When you get the rear from strange, all you do is transfer over the brakes and wire the ABS. VERY plug and play.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I gotta ask...

What do you like better about the drums over the discs?

Just curious.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

John, the drum assembly is a thin metal disc type plate that botls on to the housing of the 10 bolt, will that be strong enough to hold the bearings in like kp stated? I'm not sure about that?

Camaroholic, I like them because there is no grinding to fit my wheels, they are small, supposedly lighter than disc setups, better holdign power when cold for brake torquing at the track, and no brake dust... I heard Jay B runs drums as well? I'm not sure..

Either way I like them.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:27 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,087 Likes on 716 Posts

Usually 4 wheel discs brake better than that setup.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I'd rather have the drums for the reasons magnus stated, they wont stop as well as the discs when they get hot (by what percentage who knows) but I doubt there is much difference. The parking/emergency brake on the discs is a joke, I have only lost 20rwhp dyning with the parking brake on Plus he already has them on the car

Now that I think about it my old danas just used the backing plate to hold hold the bearings in, if the backing plates are thick enough to push the bearings in all the way when you tighten them and the hole is small enough they will probably be OK, you would have to have a pretty good side load to push the bearings through the backing plate.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The axles are held in by what though? C-clips still?

I remember watching someones backing plates bolt come un-done and the axle just slid right out, wheel brakes and all.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

backing plates hold them in. I would get a number for strange and call them.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Disk brakes are way more efficient than drum brakes. Heavier, maybe, but definitely more efficient overall.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSG--Z28
Disk brakes are way more efficient than drum brakes. Heavier, maybe, but definitely more efficient overall.
I tend to disagree for the following reasons. The reason most cars use Discs anymore is because of the ease of servicablity and in general they are lighter than drums for the most part, but it just depends on how the rotors are constructed so on and so on. Discs also have the added advantage of better cooling characteristics which makes them more desireable in passenger car applications and with roadracing, (heat is obviously one of the major causes of brake fade). Lets look at the bigger picture and I mean bigger. The big trucks all use drum brakes, (I think even in the front still). Reason for this is that there is much more braking surface with a drum vs a disc setup. The heat problems associated with drums can be detoured by the employment of Jake brakes (exhaust brake) ect ect. It's all relative though. I did a rear disc swap on my S10 for the reasoning I just liked how the rear discs looked through my 17x9.5 Boyd Coddington Timeless 5's on the back LOL :grin: It also helped solve a backspacing problem because of the backspacing they were made with because of the width of the rim, but I guess this is off topic kinda. Anyways, as for the backing plates and bearings, I wouldn't use the drum backing plates if they are indeed much thinner than the disc ones. If you are dead set on using them then talk to Strange and see what they have to say. They engineered their product probiably for the use of disc backing plates but again check and see. I would hate to hear about an axle popping out like that.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Have you ever tried to replace drum brakes? Have you ever tried to replace disc brakes? If you've done both, then you know what I am talking about. I also believe that disc brakes stop much better, especially if you are running a 4 or 6 piston caliper. I'm also sure that big trucks have brakes that are far superior to any that ever came on cars.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSG--Z28
Have you ever tried to replace drum brakes? Have you ever tried to replace disc brakes? If you've done both, then you know what I am talking about. I also believe that disc brakes stop much better, especially if you are running a 4 or 6 piston caliper. I'm also sure that big trucks have brakes that are far superior to any that ever came on cars.
LOL, more times than I care to count. The drums can be a PITA, the discs aren't too bad most of the time IMO depending on the setup I guess. The only set of discs I had to replace that I was not crazy about doing again was the front setup off a 89 Dodge Ram 250 4x4. The darned rotor was part of the 4x4 hub on the SOB which required the disassembly of the entire 4x4 hub assembly just to get the rotor off.

Search this Thread