Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ride with rod-ended torque arm set-ups?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ride with rod-ended torque arm set-ups?

I know my rod-ended LCA's added some noise. Enough that I put the factory LCA's back in. But I broke my 10bolt after 1000's miles on my new motor and turbo kit and I'm looking to get the Moser Fabricated M9 rear with the CM rod-ended torque arm included. How bad is it going to be with a rod-ended torque arm? Just wondering if it is going to be clunking all over the place after a few thousand miles once the rod-ends start to wear?

I'm not really looking for opinions from people with huge cams and loud-as-hell true dual setups, lol; you guys can't hear it anyway. I have a Magnaflow catback that is stock quiet until I open the cutout. It's great for dates and road trips. I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too. 1000hp daily driver for the win!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

It doesn't really matter if you have 1 rod end or 50. It will transmit the noise/harshness.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SStolen
I know my rod-ended LCA's added some noise. Enough that I put the factory LCA's back in. But I broke my 10bolt after 1000's miles on my new motor and turbo kit and I'm looking to get the Moser Fabricated M9 rear with the CM rod-ended torque arm included. How bad is it going to be with a rod-ended torque arm? Just wondering if it is going to be clunking all over the place after a few thousand miles once the rod-ends start to wear?

I'm not really looking for opinions from people with huge cams and loud-as-hell true dual setups, lol; you guys can't hear it anyway. I have a Magnaflow catback that is stock quiet until I open the cutout. It's great for dates and road trips. I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too. 1000hp daily driver for the win!
"After a few thousand miles ... "??? .... mine was noisy as soon a I pulled it out of the garage. Rod-ends are great for a drag car ... not for a dd. Many disagree, but that's my opinion.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It doesn't really matter if you have 1 rod end or 50. It will transmit the noise/harshness.
I agree ... !
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by SStolen

A while ago i recommended a seals-it elastomer end to someone with a MWC torque arm. They seemed to be pretty pleased.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...orque-arm.html

I have used elastomer ends and they knock out the noise, as they are nothing but a fancier rubber bushing with better articulation and less deflection. I agree that rod ends are not for the street. Aside from the noise, road grime will wear them out quick.

Sometimes they require a little modification to the mount, as they are 1-2mm or so wider than the typical rod end like an Aurora CM.

Last edited by lees02WS6; 01-04-2021 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Ride with rod-ended torque arm set-ups?