Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I broke two wheel studs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I broke two wheel studs...

Don't know how, but when I was polishing my rims today I noticed one of the lugs was missing. Not only that, but the stud was gone too Later found out another lug was loose. Went to tighten it and it fell off before I had a chance

I already bought two new studs and some new lug nuts, but I pulled the rim off and couldn't figure out how to get the old studs off and put the new ones on. I'm looking in my Haynes right now and I'm not seeing anything. Can anyone enlighten me please. I've got a roadtrip I need to take tomorrow and need to get it taken care of by then.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The studs are press fit. I have only done this on my Moser axle with the axle out of the car, but if there is room to slip the stud in behind the wheel flange it should work with the axle in the car. To get the old stud out, just drive it out with a mallet from the front. To install the new stud, place it in from behind and use an old lug nut to pull it into the axle. I used an impact wrench to pull it in tight.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called up a local shop and they said I needed to pull an axle. I didn't feel like doing that on my own for my first time, so I brought it to them. Turns out they didn't have to pull the axle. The stock 10bolts with stock length studs have just enough room to be pounded through, right before the rear plate (not sure what it's called) So yeah, it would be a fairly easy job for just about anyone. I think I'm going to replace all my studs just to be safe.