Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Looking For A Rear Axle Deal

Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For A Rear Axle Deal

Well I have been working on an 8.8 build for my car and after sinking ~$1300 into this thing and breaking the TA mount off before it ever made it into the car I'm done

Now heres the thing, I have a MWC watts link and I plan on keeping that but I don't want to wait forever for a MWC rear axle. I'm also running air bags on the rear so instead of spring mounts I need a flat plate with a hole in the center to hold the bag in place. My car is also quite low and I think clearance with the MWC rear is out of the question. I also have a UMI TA and LCAs.

I'm leaning towards an S60 but can I get that with watts link brackets, no PHB mount, and circle plates for the bags instead of the factory style spring brackets?

Or can I get a 9" with the same options?

And which axle is going to give me the most room to stay low?

And who has the best prices?? I will be making an order in a couple weeks if all goes well.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-29-2012, 05:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I went through Carl @ CRP and it was a great transaction on a Strange 12 bolt.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...t-install.html
Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Watts link may not clear the back of the S60. 12 bolt wouldn't be a bad idea, as it will be similar in size to the 8.8, but the air bag mounts won't be available as an option from Strange. We could posssibly have them leave the spring mounts off and you can fab up the plates how you need them to be, or we can do them at MWC and then ship the housing to you.

You can have a MWC 9" in a short time as well if you purchase the expedite option we offer. The MWC 9 inch rearend package has the best clearance of any 9" rearend on the market.
If you attach your UMI arm to any other 9" you WILL have tunnel clearance issues, even at stock ride height. It is not possible to put a traditional type torque arm on any 9" rearend with the pinion and torque arm in their stock locations, as it would physically pass the torque arm bolts through the 9" pinion brarings. This is one of the reasons why when I designed the MWC setup the torque arm and pinion are kept where they are supposed to be, and still have better tunnel clearance than the regular type torque arms.

Give me a call... I'd be happy to get you a great deal on whatever rearend you choose.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:03 AM
TECH Addict

The 12 bolt isn't a bad idea, but being an M6 car and staying that way worries me a little bit. And the car will see some track time, possibly on sticky tires.

I don't want to stray away from the aftermarket TA I already have, I have already spent the money and have a TA relocation kit. The tunnel clearance doesn't bother me, my car is low and staying that way and I'm not afraid to cut it up a little bit. I have spent so much money on redoing things, I don't want to replace a TA with less than 5k miles and a TA relocation kit with 0 miles on it.

I just don't know at this point...I keep pricing and it really adds up quick. S60 seems to be one of the best options for the price, but the watts link may have to go away And I just don't know about that. And I would have to get a set of watts link brackets for which ever rear axle I decide on
Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone have any more input?? I'm going to be putting up one of my vehicles up for sale to fund the axle to get my car finished up.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just sell the torque arm and get what works. I can't tell you how many people have sold their torque arms or even compete 9 inch rearends to go with the MWC unit, that will do everything you need and more. If you are worried about the investment in the arm then you must really be sick about the 8.8 adventure. Sell the arm and recoup that money toward the cost of the 9"... your out of pocket difference will be minimal.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

PM sent SSVERT

Search this Thread