Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Welded mounting point

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welded mounting point

Im getting this crack welded up for now (pics attached) how well might you expect it to hold up? I'm not planning on tracking it, but I would think it would hold up fine on the street? its only one of 6 mounting points on the diff, so I would think it should be fine.

Input?
Attached Thumbnails Welded mounting point-img_20120514_215120.jpg   Welded mounting point-img_20120514_215153.jpg   Welded mounting point-img_20120514_215222.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

iron or alum ? if done with a good tig alum alum forever iron how good is the welder is how long it will last ?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Launching!

is that piece cast iron? cast does not weld very well. there is a special procedure for welding cast that is strongly debated among welders. if cast iron is welded wrong the weld material will crack and seperate from the cast.

for instance - some jack a$$ welded a vise to one of the work tables in the shop at work. my supervisor told me to cut it off the table and move it to another workbench. I got a good sized maul, beat on the table around the vise, and lifted the vise off of the table. The weld cracked that easy. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:40 AM
10 Second Club

aluminum. I picked it up last night, and it looks really good. He took more material out of it so he could fill it better and not just weld the surface. He swears it's probably stronger than it used to be, and I'm inclined to believe him. I think anytime I've seen a break by a weld, the weld tears the metal off before the weld itself breaks.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Weld is stronger than the metal it is being welded to. You see tearing beside the weld when it is welded incorrectly. Welding too hot will weaken the metal around the weld joint.

The "taking of more material so he could weld it better" is called putting a bevel on the metal. You grind a V into the crack and it makes for a stronger joint. The same principle applies when welding two pieces of plate together. Grind an angle of approx 60 degrees on the edge of each plate to ensure 100% penetration on the weld joint. Weld the beveled side first, then flip the piece and grind the slag out of the other side and fill that bevel. More info than what you asked for, but what the hell uhh?