Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need a new rear fast, Strange S60??

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a new rear fast, Strange S60??

My 10 bolt took a dump. My car is lowered and I have strano/koni, bmr torque arm and road racing slicks with 3.90. After lengthy conversation with midwest. ( hell of an informative guy). I have a choice to make. I use the car for autocross occationally, daily driving and road racing occationally. I will go to the drag strip if called out. The stock ten bolt with 3.90s was fine until I put on the road race slicks.
max hp will be 600.
I don't won't to spend a ton because I literally may sale the car when some of the 2013's come out.

Can't use moser 9" should have tunnel brace issues.
M9 or midwest M9 are good choices but long wait or sort of expensive.
Strange S60 seems to be best choice but I hear its very heavy. Should be a direct bolt in though. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions. Car is an M6.
...and as I've said before, I'm very cheap, but not broke.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

My experience with the S60 ....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ca-s-phbr.html

.... and I am very happy with it. Keep in mind, that my car is setup for straight line performance, so be careful how you set yours up .... you cannot have both. There will always be concessions one way or the other. Also know that for me, Carl at CRP has been THE MAN for all of my Strange Engineering components.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

s60 and never look back (unless you want to see your opponents!)
Old 06-04-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

12 Bolt

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...t-install.html
Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The problem is every time I do something. I straddle the fence. I try to make the ultimate car. Like. Heads cam. But 26mpg. Track and autocross. I'm thinking. S60. I just hope those 50 lbs don't kill my autocross times.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Its not just the weight of the s60, its the parasitic loss also, same with the 9 inch. The 12 bolt is the best of both worlds, though its a pretty hated rear end around here (mostly bc they are known to whine a little), but I still bought one.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
My 10 bolt took a dump. My car is lowered and I have strano/koni, bmr torque arm and road racing slicks with 3.90. After lengthy conversation with midwest. ( hell of an informative guy). I have a choice to make. I use the car for autocross occationally, daily driving and road racing occationally. I will go to the drag strip if called out. The stock ten bolt with 3.90s was fine until I put on the road race slicks.
max hp will be 600.
I don't won't to spend a ton because I literally may sale the car when some of the 2013's come out.

Can't use moser 9" should have tunnel brace issues.
M9 or midwest M9 are good choices but long wait or sort of expensive.
Strange S60 seems to be best choice but I hear its very heavy. Should be a direct bolt in though. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions. Car is an M6.
...and as I've said before, I'm very cheap, but not broke.

Do you already have a good aftermarket torque arm? If you don't, the factory torque arm is prone to bending approx six inches ahead of the rear end. If you still have the factory torque arm then you might want to reconsider the Moser M9, which as you know is their lightweight fabricated rear end. The M9 comes with a chromoly torque arm and transmission crossmember. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...y-Complete.htm
My prices include shipping to your door, and this rear won't add any weight to your car. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-08-2012, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

I love my s60 Mwc hooked me up direct bolt on and can't feel the extra weight to me piece of mind is worth the extra weight
Old 06-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

For me, the extra weight isn't an issue. If I was that "hard core" I would be on a diet myself, remove all my sterio equipment...etc.

600 HP and 10 bolt should not be in the same paragraph or even thought it might hold up for any longer than hot wings/beer at a Monday night football game party.

I just went through this myself and bought the S60. If I break that rear axle, I'm selling my car and taking up finger painting and glue sniffing.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Do any of you guys saying to buy an S60 autocross or take your car on a road course? That is/was what OP is concerned about.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Do any of you guys saying to buy an S60 autocross or take your car on a road course? That is/was what OP is concerned about.
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express Last Night! You may or may not lose or gain anything from the rear end performance wise. The extra 50Lbs will be harder to Break and Brake! It may make it harder to accelerate or it may not!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WonBadZ28
s60 and never look back (unless you want to see your opponents!)

well said... but yeah the weight kinda bothers me...so i strapped a D1 on it to fix that problem..
Old 07-18-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

I've been happy as hell with my Strange 12-bolt, but then again, I drive like an old lady.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ballzee

well said... but yeah the weight kinda bothers me...so i strapped a D1 on it to fix that problem..
The weight bothers you, so you strapped an extra 60lbs to the front of the car too? Extra weight all over is GREAT for handling (yeah right)... OP's car has Koni/Strano, road race slicks, and takes it autocrossing and road course... Extra weight in the front is a big no-no for handling (I guess this is why you would also have to go with tubular lower A-arms, tubular K-member, and relocated battery to try and compensate for the weight gain).
Old 07-18-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Strange S60. I bought mine 3-4 years ago. !0,xxx miles later, many autox and drag races and it still looks brand new inside.

one of the best mods I have done, besides switching to twin disc for a clutch.

just be ready to hammer a dent into the chassis tunnel. otherwise the torque arm slaps the crap out of the underside of the car.

the M9 is a great rearend to, just a bit more pricey. easier to swap out gears.
not sure how much replacement parts costs on a m9, but i know they are cheap on the s60

Last edited by ibanez7; 07-18-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ibanez7
Strange S60. I bought mine 3-4 years ago. !0,xxx miles later, many autox and drag races and it still looks brand new inside.

one of the best mods I have done, besides switching to twin disc for a clutch.

just be ready to hammer a dent into the chassis tunnel. otherwise the torque arm slaps the crap out of the underside of the car.

the M9 is a great rearend to, just a bit more pricey. easier to swap out gears.
not sure how much replacement parts costs on a m9, but i know they are cheap on the s60
What did switching to the S60 do to your AutoX times/feel? What posi unit, gears, etc...
Old 07-18-2012, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

OP you have strano springs-why not give Sam Strano a call and ask him what he thinks.He should know if adding 50 lbs of unsprung weight with a S60 will hurt your track or autocross times.IMO a S60 should go on cars that are going to see high rpm clutch drops on sticky tires and if you are not really doing that but are interrested in handling there are better choices.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZexGX
What did switching to the S60 do to your AutoX times/feel? What posi unit, gears, etc...
no issues... with time or feel

it comes down to two things for autox..

is the car IRS or live axle? We are stuck with live axle so its not going to perform at the level of IRS, but you can get close.

the differential.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

I ended up with a burkart fab 9 for weight savings. I already had a centersection given to me so it wasnt going to cost much, or so I thought. After adding the abs rings and shipping, blah blah blah I ended up under 1900 shipped. It still feels a hell of a lot heavier than the 10 bolt picking it up. Nodular case, billet posi clutch style, billet pinion support and yoke, richmond gears. By the time I switched out the gears, locker for the posi and yoke+support I spent another 800. Add in a driveshaft I bought and its 3-500 extra. At this point the 25 lb savings over the S60 (strange claims only 20-25 over a 12 bolt, and my fathers M12 is a tank) Im thinking I shoulda bought the 60. I wanted something I could beat on and just not worry about and no whining. I am no way knocking on anybody elses product, I love the 9in I have. The housing is top notch and would recommend it to anybody but I dont believe I need it for what I do with the car. I figured I saved weight going to CM rear suspension components, and will be putting Koni's all around which is supposed to help with added unsprung weight in the rear. The car still handles great like it did and hooks nice. Hope this helps.

Last edited by dkota1968; 07-19-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dkota1968
I ended up with a burkart fab 9 for weight savings. I already had a centersection given to me so it wasnt going to cost much, or so I thought. After adding the abs rings and shipping, blah blah blah I ended up under 1900 shipped. It still feels a hell of a lot heavier than the 10 bolt picking it up. Nodular case, billet posi clutch style, billet pinion support and yoke, richmond gears. By the time I switched out the gears, locker for the posi and yoke+support I spent another 800. Add in a driveshaft I bought and its 3-500 extra. At this point the 25 lb savings over the S60 (strange claims only 20-25 over a 12 bolt, and my fathers M12 is a tank) Im thinking I shoulda bought the 60. I wanted something I could beat on and just not worry about and no whining. I am no way knocking on anybody elses product, I love the 9in I have. The housing is top notch and would recommend it to anybody but I dont believe I need it for what I do with the car. I figured I saved weight going to CM rear suspension components, and will be putting Koni's all around which is supposed to help with added unsprung weight in the rear. The car still handles great like it did and hooks nice. Hope this helps.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...y-Complete.htm
The Moser M9 is the same weight as the stock 10 bolt. We weighed it back at the old shop in '07 when we received the very first M9 made for the 4th gen F body. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Need a new rear fast, Strange S60??