Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Assembling 9" question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 05:54 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Assembling 9" question

I got all the parts for my 9" now and will take the housing in to get powder coated. Will it be bad if the surface of where the center section mounts, be powder coated? i could have them tape it off then paint it once i get it. I hate to leave it bare metal and rust.

Also there is no gasket so i take it just use some rtv to seal it up when i install it? also what should I torque the center section studs too?

other thing is once i have it, all the assembly involves is pressing the bearings onto the shafts until they stop. Then putting the bearing collars on so they don't move and bolting the backing plates on to hold hte bearings and shaft in?

I was talking to a circle track guy and he recommend i tack weld that bearing collar onto the axle. Is that a good idea?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My MWC rear was powder coated where the center section mounts. Just use some rtv as a gasket (if you have to remove it a sharpened metal putty knife will be your friend).

The backing plates need to go on before the bearings.

depending on which bearings you have it goes backing plate > bearing > bearing retainer > seal or backing plate > seal > bearing > bearing retainer

if you have traction control there will be some additional steps for the tcs reluctors.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" Is that a good idea?"
BAD
Johnny
Old 06-05-2012, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL yeah bad idea on welding the bearing collar haha.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:44 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't think a tack weld would be necessary as I'd think those collars would be plenty. Well this rear should be the easiest thing to install every as it seemed so simply like i was missing something. thanks for the help.