Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" Install - Help & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9" Install - Help & Questions

I am trying to get this installed now that I have the the major parts.

I don't understand what the Center Section bolts are for vs. the T-bolts?

So I need to go to the store and buy
8 ea - 3/8" - 24 nuts and washers for the housing ends (WHAT FOR?)
10 ea - 3/8" - 24 nuts & washwers for the center (9" Ford only) WHAT FOR?

What kinds of bolts and washers do I need??

Are the first set of bolts for the brake backing plates or something else? Also there are no Torque specs that I can find anywhere so I'm in a bind.

Do you recommend using any RTV along with the gasket between the center section and the housing?

IS THERE A COMPREHENSIVE WRITEUP on a 9" Install somewhere.... I've seen a 12 bolt but it was not complete. (and I can't search 9" since it isn't enough characters)

Thanks...
Old 03-31-2004, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Oh.. and is the shorter axle the one for the drivers or passenger side?
Old 03-31-2004, 05:39 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 8 nuts/washers are for the backing plates/caliper mounts, I would use grade 8 nuts and the thinnest flatwashers you can find + clean the oil off the threads and use some red locktite. There is no torque specs, just make them tight (I would guess ~25ftlbs), you cant get anything but an open end wrench on them anyhow unless you have star flanged axles.

I used 3/8-24 nylon locknuts and flatwashers on the center section.

You can just use silicone between the center section and housing, I havent used a 9" ford gasket since silicone came out 20 years ago

Put the axles in the housing and its pretty easy to see which is for what side..
Old 03-31-2004, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
the 8 nuts/washers are for the backing plates/caliper mounts, I would use grade 8 nuts and the thinnest flatwashers you can find + clean the oil off the threads and use some red locktite. There is no torque specs, just make them tight (I would guess ~25ftlbs), you cant get anything but an open end wrench on them anyhow unless you have star flanged axles.

I used 3/8-24 nylon locknuts and flatwashers on the center section.

You can just use silicone between the center section and housing, I havent used a 9" ford gasket since silicone came out 20 years ago

Put the axles in the housing and its pretty easy to see which is for what side..
You are my hero right now.. Do you know where to find the torque specs for the torque arm mount to the 9" and the actual toque arm itself??
Old 03-31-2004, 05:56 PM
kp
8 Second Club

TTF on the torque arm mount to rear end. TTF = tighter then f**k, I use a 3' breaker bar and all my 210lbs to tighten them..

Factory calls for 96ft/lb on the torque arm nuts/bolts, I do them at 100. I would advice checking all of them again after a couple hundred miles or after the first trip to the dragstrip.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

All I could find was just the stuff at AutoZone.

3/8" Normal Washers & 3/8" fine nuts (not grade 8 or nylon locking) for the T-bolts

I got 3/8" nuts (same as above) with locking washers for the cover and plan to loctite them ????

Is that good enough or would I need GRADE 8 specifically... if so I need to make another trip somewhere besides Home Depot and Autozone

So the t-bolts torque to around 25 or tight and the center section is just tight as well?? Can't believe none of this came in the Moser instructions btw
Old 03-31-2004, 07:29 PM
kp
8 Second Club

When you get out of the realm of direct bolt on parts and into race oriented stuff, instructions are usually non-existent

You dont really need grade 8 nuts for the backing plates or lockwashers for the housing. If you have an aluminum center section I wouldnt use lockwashers, just flat washers. The housing nuts are fine at 20-25 ft/lbs as well. I just used locking nuts because thats what I had..

Ace hardware usually has an awesome selection of nuts/bolts/washers, the one here has grade 8, stainless and chrome plated nuts/bolts in english and metric..
Old 03-31-2004, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

I need directions for my race oriented stuff because I have no idea what the hell I"m doing... I'm learing along the way I guess but I hate to risk it with a 2k rear.

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 04-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Launching!

When you have the axle bearings pressed on make sure you have the right backing plate with the right axle.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

I put them together and took them to the shop. They should/BETTER be right I checked them like 10 times to make sure.

Quick Reply: Moser 9" Install - Help & Questions