Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rebuilt rear end whine after break in

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt rear end whine after break in

My brother in-law and I replaced all the bearings in my rear end and the ring and pinion. The inner bearings were shot which is why everything got replaced. The rear end initially didn't whine, but now about 5k or 6k miles it has a whine. Usually while cruising at low RPM's and the foot on the gas. It's the kind of whine that vibrates your brain to mush. The ring and pinion were from an SS with about 10k miles on it. They are 3.42 and I have a manual trans. Any ideas? Could it be the U-joints? I have 110,000 miles.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ldbranda
My brother in-law and I replaced all the bearings in my rear end and the ring and pinion. The inner bearings were shot which is why everything got replaced. The rear end initially didn't whine, but now about 5k or 6k miles it has a whine. Usually while cruising at low RPM's and the foot on the gas. It's the kind of whine that vibrates your brain to mush. The ring and pinion were from an SS with about 10k miles on it. They are 3.42 and I have a manual trans. Any ideas? Could it be the U-joints? I have 110,000 miles.
P.S. My brother in law did rear ends for 10 years at a Ford dealership so he knew what he was doing.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Hard to say, when I rebuild one it gets all new bearings even outer wheel bearings. Did you change all the bearings? What kind of preload did you have on the pinion abd carrier bearings? Sounds like something may have moved.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never install used gears. Unless you can set it up identically to the previous settings, it will be nearly impossible to get it to stop whining. Once a gear set makes a wear pattern, it likes to stay in that wear pattern.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
I never install used gears. Unless you can set it up identically to the previous settings, it will be nearly impossible to get it to stop whining. Once a gear set makes a wear pattern, it likes to stay in that wear pattern.
Plain and simple, something is wrong. My guess is it's ring and pinion set up or preload. Go back inside and look it over. It's not going to do anything but get worse. Setting up a used gearset is about the same as new stuff when you paint the gears and check for pattern.

Let me ask, did you just reuse the original shims?

Al 95 Z28

Quick Reply: Rebuilt rear end whine after break in