Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

MWC Trans Mount Issue........

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MWC Trans Mount Issue........

Last weekend I went down and picked up my MWC Fab 9 and today I started the install. And I ran into issues right away. I removed the stock trans x-member and tried to bolt in the MWC trans mount and it won't fit. The mount either needs to come back another 1/2" or the motor has to move forward 1/2" I tried grinding down a casting nub on the tranny itself, but that wasn't enough. Now I have one more option and that is to elongate the holes on the passenger side to try to gain another 1/4" or so. The driver side is already pushed back as far as it can go.

Is this a common issue or is it just my car?? The stock trans mount fit just fine, but the UMI TA relocation kit gave me a little trouble, but that also fit, but the MWC trans mount will not fit without more modifications.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

Another option is that I can cut some of the backside of the MWC x-member and weld in a filler piece, but honestly I don't even want to elongate the holes, everything is powdercoated, looks good, and for the amount of money I paid it should just bolt in.

I'm not talking **** about anyone's products, maybe I just got a bad part, but it seems that everything I do to my car lately has to go wrong in some way.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Mine fit like a glove with little to no adjusting needed to get it on. Do you still have the factory motor mounts? If so they may be letting the motor be out of alignment.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Nope it has all poly mounts. I guess I got a bad part them, I'll call mwc tomorrow
Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

try to post some pics........

we have done a couple of these mwcfab9......with no issues.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

I'll take some pics today.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Well I got it to fit. I had to drill some holes and take the die grinder to them to oval it out on the passengers side of the trans x-member and use the stock mount rather than the pol one I had. I chopped up the poly mount, but it kept hitting on the TA bracket so I just grabbed the stocker and used that for now. Maybe when I feel like welding and grinding more I'll make the poly mount work, but I think he rubber mount will be ok.

I had to make the holes on the passenger side go towards the front of the car rather than side to side. I probably went 1/2" towards the front of the car and I now have about 1/16" between the MWC x-member and the tranny. Close but good enough for me.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Teching In

You might try loosening the motor mount bolts where they bolt to the block and k-member to see if the motor-tranny will move forward alittle. Might give you some more room.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First problem is the poly trans mount... Throw that thing in the garbage and put a new GM one on it, and you will also get way less vibes in the car at the same time. We never have install/fitment issues with our trans mount crossmembers. The front of the tube will be pretty close to the back edge of the trans case but should not contact at all.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

I used the GM replacement trans mount and I still had to modify the mounting holes to get it to fit. The factory trans x-member fit fine, but not the mwc. Maybe it's just my car, but there was no way it was going in if I didn't modify the bracket.