Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end swap

Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end swap

has anybody swaped a rear end from a 02 Z to another 02 Z and found a problem. the rear end taken out was a singal feed brake line and had a single speed sensor located on top of rear end. the one installed had a dual feed brake lines and dual speed sensor located on each wheel . i swap out the brake the brake lines no problem . the speed sensor is the problem .... i think... the conectors are the same but the twin sensor has 4 wires where the other had only two . so ......... this causes the dash lites to come on . the lites are , brake, absnop, the question is.... how to clear these lites??????????? i have tried the hand held unit , it didn't work . lites came back on . also a , low tarck lite comes on, but goes out after a few minutes......... what to do next?

Last edited by lls1nut; 07-17-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: left out year model
Old 07-17-2012, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

You have a problem. Do you want a.b.s.? If so you need a way for the e.b.c.m to see the proper signal. Being it was reading of the ring gear originally that could be tough. You could plug in the sensor but as soon as you move the light would come on due to no speed input. Your car has what is known as a three channel a.b.s. system and got a four channel. Possibly a way to read off of driveshaft but I don't know.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

A too common mistake,and I hate to use the word mistake, when replacing an entire rearend. The original rearend was ABS (3 channel) only,the replacement rearend is ABS & TC (4 channel). NOT interchangeable.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...3-channel.html
Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Teching In

thanks guys for the info.............it is just my luck..........the good thing about this deal ..........is ........0 cost too me. i will just haft to rebuild the one i took out.............. well its back to the drawing board.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By chance, does the 4 channel diff have the provision for the 3 channel sensor? You could always add the diff with the ring. Maybe you would have to drill for the sensor, but I'll bet the pad is there for it.

Search this Thread