Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axle housing issues.. Got ????

Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Axle housing issues.. Got ????

Long story short I bought a used Moser 9"(I highly recommend buying new, will never go used again). Upon receipt I found the passenger side bearing housing needed replaced(Moser thought spun bearing). I had a new end housing installed, all new bearings throughout, etc. Started cruising, after about 300ish miles I noticed a leak on the passenger side seal. Pulled axle, had new bearing/seal pressed on. Re-installed and went for a 5 mile drive. When I got back I crawled under car and felt pass side axle housing, VERY hot to the touch. Then felt drivers side, ice cold.. I was told a dragging brake could cause this, I've checked my calipers and replaced my rotors.. I don't hear any unusual noises, rear works great other than the excessive heat on passenger side. I know if I keep driving it the seal will fail again. Any ideas?
Old 07-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this a s.w.a.g.........axle could be bent or egg shap . check the axle mith a mic. bearing could have gaulded the axle causing bearing and seal to fail......good luck
Old 07-22-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a sticky caliper can cause the brakes to apply too much pressure on the rotor,causing alot of heat to every thing.press the caliper piston in a few times or replace them to avoid them sticking.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lls1nut
this a s.w.a.g.........axle could be bent or egg shap . check the axle mith a mic. bearing could have gaulded the axle causing bearing and seal to fail......good luck
Axles are brand new, old one was bent on passenger side.

Originally Posted by garygnu
a sticky caliper can cause the brakes to apply too much pressure on the rotor,causing alot of heat to every thing.press the caliper piston in a few times or replace them to avoid them sticking.
My initial thoughts also. I could hear the brake dragging on passenger side. I checked calipers, both seemed fine, replaced rotors and no longer hear anything brake related from the rear. Going to call the shop tomorrow, I still think there is a housing issue on the passenger side.

Search this Thread