Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

whats the next weekest link?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the next weekest link?

can i get some feed back on what will break next? (axle) i know the main problem with our factory axles is that the caps are weak and we push the carrier away from the pinion causing ring gear deflection and destroying the gear. that is easily fixed with a rear end girdle. next the carrier will crack. that is easily replaced. if i get a rear end girdle and replace the carrier with a heavy duty locker what will go next and how much power will it take to break? I know everyone who reads this will want to tell me to quit wasting my time and get a new housing. but i like racing in a class that requires me to run factory displacement factory trans, axle housings.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Something else that'll help.

Weld some square steel stock down the lengths of the axle tubes and stitch weld the axle tube to the pumpkin. This will strengthen the overall housing
Old 04-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Teching In

good call, i already did that. but it definely was a good thing to mention.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Teching In

i would imagine that the actual shafts would go next but i wonder ho lond they will hold up? i am launching at 4500 on them now pulling 1.60 60fts
Old 04-03-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

moser (I think) makes some replacement axles that a tad stronger than stock.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Teching In

yeah they do. but i dont want to have to do diff and axles in one shot. i would like to buy the diff first for my factory axle splines. then if my shafts break i would get the shafts later. the only problem is mosers upgrade shafts are 30 spline. i wonder how may people have tried just replacing the diff and strengthening the housing? every things holding now but i still have a 3.42 ring/pinion. i want to go with 4.56 on some 30'' tall tires. that means a whole lot more torque on them axles.