Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" Install Question - Lower Control Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9" Install Question - Lower Control Arms?

While bolting things back up today I noticed that there is a pretty big gap in the LCA mount points on the new Moser 9" rear. It is probably an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. I have BMR LCA's (poly/poly) and I know with the stocker they had to be worked into position with very little to no gap (actually had to pound them in a bit) but not on the Moser.

Is this a big deal? I'm assuming that it isn't correct but I don't really know how I'd go about fixing it since I can't very well shrink the mount point to remove the gap. I guess I don't know if lateral movement on the LCA's is going to be a big deal or not since they are more there for front to back stability (or at least that's how I understood it)
Old 04-04-2004, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

nobody knows if a gap between the LCA bushings and the actual LCA mount points is going to be a problem. ??? anyone ever seen this before?
Old 04-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Launching!

There is still a gap when you TQ them to 87 foot lbs? Try that first, if there is still a gap maybe the bushings in the LCAs are wore I know when I installed my LCAs with rodends, where the LCA mounts on the body of the car (not the rearend), I had a gap until I TQed it to 87 foot lbs.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

haven't torqued them yet... but I have a large gap and don't know if it will close up 1/8 to 1/4 inches when torqued.. I'll give it a shot and see though
Old 04-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I hope it will close up. 1/8" gap was what mine was like. After TQing them, it was fine. When I take them out to replace the rod ends, it still spreads back out.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put a couple of washers between the bushing and mount. I have them on my car.

Bruce
Old 04-04-2004, 10:25 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mosers always have that gap, dont know where they get their dimensions from but thats one thats not even close... Just torque them to spec and they will smash down or you can use washers. I used poly BMRs with no problem just tightening them down.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

good to hear.. I called Moser today and they swore up and down that they are built for the stock LCA's and that is why they are so wide... funny thing is that my BMR poly LCA's were the same size as my stockers.... someone measure once instead of twice on that one..

I'll try torqueing them and if that doesn't close it all I'll do the washer trick. They also said to use washers if need be.